Saturday, July 27, 2013

The protocol

Saturday, 7/27-

I met up with Dave Richard at West Chester Henderson HS for a short track workout followed by hills.  After a good warm up, sufficient stretching and some strides, we were ready for the first part of the workout: 3 sets of 2 150s.  The protocol called for a 150, 250m jog (2:00), another 150, and then a 650m (8:00).  The rest was plentiful.  Our times: 20.5, 21.4; 19.4, 20.2; 19.7, 20.2.  I felt relaxed on all of these.  The rest certainly helped, as I am not accustomed to taking this much rest for this sort of workout.  In fact, I could've probably run a second faster for each repeat, given the rest.  Then again, I haven't done such a workout in a few weeks, so I would have been pressing my luck.

One thing in particular that impressed me was that Dave, at nearly 50, was sharp.  We were pretty much stride-for-stride on most of these repeats.  What's more, he was wearing training flats!  There is no reason why this man cannot run 55 or better over 400m.

After the track segment, we made our way by car to WCU's south campus for a couple of hills.  We walked to the bottom of the hill adjacent the newly furbished tennis courts.  I took my lead from Dave, who started at the macadam, me close behind, and made his way up the paved path, then onto the grass (left), over the road shoulder barrier, up to and across the soccer field, and finally up the sharp incline to the telephone pole.  I was tentative on this first one, running 54 seconds to Dave's probable 52.  However, the second hill felt better.  With my lug of keys in hand, I took the hills in a much more confident manner finishing less tired than the first and a second faster.

I wasn't dead was felt a little refreshed instead.

Friday, 7/26-

I went to the Y and did a little running and a little lifting: same 'ole, same 'ole.
3/4M- on the donut track: 5:00
upper body work
3/4M- on the donut track: 4:52
more upper body work

No comments:

Post a Comment