Friday, July 19, 2013

Hot and Humid week

Fri, 7/18--took the day off

Thurs, 7/18--I had a great run with a few EA XC runners and XC coach.  Great kids, great coach.  We took to the neighborhoods a bit and finished with a generous tour of the XC course.  It was great to run with these dedicated guys.  The 8 miles or so in just under 64 minutes were made more difficult by the heat.  The pedestrian pace helped a bit.

Wed, 7/17--Took the day off.

Tues, 7/16--Hot and humid.  90+ Went to the GA meet with the intention of running the 100, 400, and then 200.  Traffic drowned my plan, as I arrived too late to the 100.

The 400: I had a reasonably good warm up, although I was missing that pop in my legs.  I was assigned heat 2, lane 3.  There was one person to my inside and 3 to my outside: teammates Craig Strimel, Scott Landis, and Dave Richard.  I settled into my starting block with a plan to be aggressive in the first 100 meters and then pace off the field through the next 150 and then try to extend or just hold on for the final 150.  I think my plan went like clockwork.  I tried to stay relaxed over the last 100, keeping my hands open.  However, I broke down a bit and did not break the 55-second barrier, posting 55.23 FAT instead.

The 200: There was sufficient rest between the 400 and 200, but the heat was indeed oppressive.  I dragged myself over to the start of the 200, having not stretched since my 400.  When I heard that I'd be in heat 2, lane 3 again I knew it was my lucky day.  I hit the track and did a short sprint-out and a short stretch of high knees.  That was it.  I settled into my blocks, deciding not to practice any starts.  I noticed one guy to my inside (from Shore AC) and two to my outside: a teenager perhaps and Ray Parker.  I got out pretty well and made up the stagger on the younger at about the 50m mark.  I noted that Ray was out pretty quickly.  Coming into the straightaway I felt good, so I began to lift and relax...all the way to 24.85.


TNT's Junior Hyman was in heat 1 and would post an enviable 54-low.

Mon, 7/15--Took the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment