Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I'm struggling.

Wed, 7/10-- I had planned to run after work...on campus.  Unfortunately, I brought my workout clothing but forgot my sneakers.  Oh well!

Tues, 7/9--Meet at Germantown Academy.  I arrived after 6:00 and realized that I would not be able to warm up by competing in the 100.  This was just as well since I am concerned that sprint events might compromise my health: a pulled hamstring is the last thing I need.

So, I decided to greet a few teammates and then warm up.  Soon into my warm up the sky opened up and the rain came down and down hard.  From that moment on, the weather was unsettled.  While the temperature dropped comfortably, the sky kept opening and closing.  A rainbow was perhaps the highlight of the evening.  My 800 certainly wasn't.

I seeded myself at 2:05 and expected to run close to that.  However, I knew from my warm up that it would be unlikely.  I was tight, my stretching was ineffective, my stride pattern was off, and I had not pop in my step.  I was flat.

I was in the first heat in "lane" 5 of 7 or 8.  From the start, I injected myself into the rear of the pack, realizing that the top guys, the youngsters, had shot out quickly and would likely hit the 200 in 28 seconds.  I reached the 200 in 30 (I could see on the large score board) and found myself going stride for stride with my teammate Scott Landis.  Coming up the straightaway my legs felt heavy.  Bruce later told me I hit the 400 meters in 61, perhaps 61-high or 62-low.  I thought for a quick second about stopping.  Bad medicine.  I pressed on.  On the backstretch, I opened up a little bit and pulled even with whom I later learned was Millersville U. student Alex Cruz (future teammate).  I hit the 600m mark in 1:33 or so.  I passed Alex and then just imploded.  I struggled over the last 100, was passed by Alex, and slowed to 2:09.55.  This was my worst outdoor track 800m time in perhaps 3 years.  It stunk.  I have so much work to do and have considered shutting down my season.  It's clear that I'm having some challenges.  I'm struggling.


Mon, 7/8--I went to the Y and did a little lifting.

2 comments:

  1. don't do it! Don't shut it down yet Delvin - you just need some motivation - something to push for.
    So do I, it been hard trying to feel and be strong with my work out lately. I'm not sure what it is the heat, my work, my body or my age but I'm not giving up! See ya Saturday we will push each other ! Father time is pushing hard so we just have to persevere soon he will tire and then we'll be on the up swing again.
    -- Bama Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bruce. I appreciate the pep talk!!! It was great working out together on Sat. See you soon.

      Delete