Sunday, April 28, 2013

Dear Penn Relays, I need to find that guy and ask him how he did it.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

I was supposed to do a recovery run today. I wound up running harder than I should have. I took 6.6M in 48:20 (7:19 pace). Last year or the year before, this would’ve still been recovery run pace for me. This year, however, this was more like a training run, given the little distance I’ve done these last few months.

Friday, April 26, 2013 and Saturday, April 27, 2013—

And so the day of reckoning arrives. I attended two meetings at two different schools before making my way down to Penn. I arrived with plenty of time to hang out with Chuck and see a number of awesome races. I warmed up quite a bit from 1:00-1:45 and then again from 2:15-2:45 before heading to the paddock area for the 100 meters. I couldn’t find my teammates during my second warm-up, even though I had seen them earlier in the stands. At any rate, when I arrived at the paddock area there were few to be found. I hung around for a few minutes before inquiring. An official informed me that the event had already been called and that I should head to the staging area. I did and found that everyone had been warming up on the infield and were now checking in with a clerk. I followed suit. I put my sweats and sneakers down and waited in line. Afterwards I set my blocks for a couple of starts. Just as I was about to practice, an official ordered the masters guys off the track before the next event was up. So, I did a couple of drills on the infield. We were also given out lane assignments; I was in lane 8. After two heats of the Special Olympics 100, I was ready for a couple of starts. My starts were surprisingly good from my angle. We were called to stand at our blocks. I stood with Ross to my immediate left and Nick to my immediate right.
“On your marks.” We all took out time getting nice and comfortable into our starting positions. I could hear the announcer begin to say our names. I figured the starter would hold us in this position as a result. “Set.” Oh my goodness, I thought. And the gun went off. Nick shot out quickly. I was a stride behind him from the start. Halfway through the race I felt like I was going to pull even with him. But because I was pressing I began to decelerate more quickly than he. Thus, he actually extended his lead, posting 12.16, .02 shy of my GPTC master’s record. (I was scarcely aware of this until Craig and Rob mentioned it.) I managed only 12.31 due, in large measure, to a bad start and a panicky second half of the race.
I let go of the race, or so I thought.

It was time to focus on the 4 x 100 meter relay, scheduled for two hours later. The warm-up wasn’t quite as extensive, but the excitement was palpable. I was ready. Once those of us running third leg were called onto the field, I knew I was all set. I dashed out and stretched a little bit more, still feeling the nagging tightness in my upper hamstrings. That wouldn’t unnerve me, though. Eventually, we were up. Lane 4 was alright with me. I set my tape and sprinted out 20 meters or so. Soon afterwards, I heard the gun go off. A few seconds later I saw Ross barreling down the track toward me. It was surreal. I took off from my mark and extended my hand back at his call. He missed my hand the first time, it seemed, but we recovered just fine. I took the turn well, extending the lead over the guy to my inside. I gave Wayne the baton and he took it home. We ran 47.57, I believe, running a half-second faster this year than last. However pleased we were, we were humbled, as well, by the 44-second winning time.

And then there was showdown Saturday, featuring the M40+ 4x400. After arriving with my family in the early afternoon and hanging out first by myself and then with my teammates, I was ready to rock and roll. Or was I? I certainly felt tight and sore from yesterday, but I shrugged it off. I’d stretch really well and do the best I could. We were letter F—for FAST! Well, not exactly. We did run pretty well, I suppose. Of course, if I’m honest, I was again disappointed with my performance. I led off with a low 55 (according to Chuck, 55.2), but I was hoping for something in the neighborhood of, well, 53.9. Too ambitious? Perhaps. I was fourth on the backline at the start. When the gun went off, I got jostled a bit, so I hung back and found myself near last. At the 100 mark, I passed a couple of guys and was suddenly in fourth behind Nate Sickerson, who was running on Southwest Sprinters’ B team. I was running relaxed. And then I wasn’t all of a sudden. The last 100 meters were far more difficult than they should have been given my fitness. I have lifted more this year than ever. I can’t say that it’s paid off. Maybe my periformis syndrome issues have simply taken their toll. I tried to get up on my toes.
Before I knew it there was someone challenging me as we approached the handoff. It was the shorter, burly guy who ran my leg at Millrose. We handed dead even…unfortunately. I scarcely remember Nick’s race, but saw Scott’s and Craig’s. We all ran within about a second of each other: three (3) 55s and one (1) 56 for 3:42+.

2013 Penn Relays 4x400

I recall with envy the Delvin who ran 53.71 open last year and the Delvin who split 53.1 in 2009. I need to find that guy and ask him how he did it.

Newsflash: Penn Relays video (copied from my 5/5/13 post): A conservative analysis of the M40 4x400 video has revealed that I posted a sub-55 second leadoff leg, somewhere in the neighborhood of 54.7.
    Thursday, April 23—Ran a mile or so with Bosley, my pooch, and then stretched a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment