Tuesday, March 5, 2013

4:00 of conversation with someone I hadn't seen in years!

Tuesday, 3/5--Periformis syndrome is killing me.  Warmed up a mile or so, tried to stretch, tried to do a couple of hills, failed, cooled down with the dog and stretched.

Monday, 3/4--recovery workout.
7:00 mile on the donut track
stretching for 4:00
6:49 on the donut track
4:00 lifting: arm curl machine, lat pull
6:39 on the donut track
4:00 lifting: fly machine and military press
4:00 of conversation with someone I hadn't seen in years!

Sunday, 3/3--I made my way down to U of Delaware for the Mid-Atlantic Championship meet.  My plan was to do the 60 and 800 or 60, 400 and 200.  I would base this decision largely on whether the 800 has entrants with seed times faster than my season best of 2:07.  Right before I competed in the 60, I took one last look at the seed times of the athletes and decided that I had better do the 60, 400 and 200.  (Last year, I competed in the 60, 800, and 200.)  While I think I made the right decision, I am suffering as a result.  Periformis syndrome is killing me.

(Dr.) Dave Thomas was kind enough to loosen me up before my race. 

I arrived at the venue at 11:00-something with plenty of time to warm up before.  I warmed up nicely for the 60 and found myself in lane 3 in a heat with Clinton Fields, some other guy, and teammates Rob Schwartz and Ross O'Neil.  I got a good start and held my own against Clinton.  The 7.88 (F.A.T.) was a good showing for me.  I got second place.

I enjoyed a good rest before the 400.  I was in lane 6 with a seed time of 55.11.  I got out well off the gun and found myself vying for first place as we approached the cut-in mark where the cones are.  I surged ahead so that I could get to the 200 first.  And I did.  (I learned that my first 200 was in sub-26).  I tried to stay relaxed over the next lap , but I felt myself grow slower.  Coming off the final turn I could feel someone (Lyndell Pittman of New York apparently) on my shoulder.  He passed me with about 30 meters to go, posting 54.80 to my 55.29.

Finally, the 200 came. I was in lane 2 running against a strong crop of guys, including to my outside the guy from NYC who beat me in the 400.  I got out well enough and thought I had a good chance to reel lane 3 in.  I was wrong.  I came off the final turn in second and went neck-and-neck with Junior Hyman, who almost got me at the line.  The winner, Lyndell Pitmann, ran 24.14 and I ran 25.21, a huge margin by any measure. 

Despite the gold I received for my age group in two of my three events , I am neither cocky nor confident.  I have plenty of work to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment