Tuesday, March 26, 2013

2013 USA Masters Indoor Track & Field Championships

Sunday, 3/24--Sunday was the biggest of the three days.  I had two events, the open 800 meters and the 4x400.  Would my leg hold up?  Would I make it through the race?  Would I feel disappointed?  These were questions that rode me.  And for good reason.

I warmed up for the 800 with as much intention as I could muster.  However, the pop was missing.  No matter what I tried, the pep was missing from my step.  In fact, I felt sleepy and sluggish.  But I tried not to reveal it.  I was a bit tighter than I had been the day before and I was tentative with my stride.  In the end, I decided that I would do my best. 

I did gain some energy when I learned that I was running in the same heat as Lance Elliot, one of Nick Berra's key competitors.  I felt that this was a chance to let him know that I exist.  Schoolgirl-like, I guess.  Oh well. 

I did a massive stride-out when we were welcomed onto the track, one last-ditch effort to wake up.  Then we were at the line.  I was seeded seventh out of nine in my heat, although only eight showed.  When the gun sounded, I got out hard and found myself in third place...for the first 50 meters or so.  I was right behind Lance. 

At the 200, I was in fifth place.  The clock read 32 as I crossed.  The leaders hit 31.  We were going at a pedestrian pace by the top guys' standards.   The pace seemed to quicken over the second lap.  I crossed in 63; they hit 62 and change.  I was right there. 
As we approached the 550m mark, the guys began their kick, trying to see who would reach the bell and thus the turn first. 
As they raced up the straightaway and into the turn, they gapped me.  I felt left behind, like the schoolyard fourth grader who was told by fifth graders that I couldn't join the secret club and thus enjoy the rights and privileges of the big boys.  I maintained my pace, but I could not respond fully. 

I hit the 600 in 1:35+.  The leaders arrived in 1:34.  My last lap was in about 32; theirs was in 29.  And that's the difference: the strength and speed endurance over the last 200.  To make matters worse, someone nipped me at the line, edging me by two-tenths of a second.  My time of 2:07.79 was coincidentally the exact seed time I put down, the early season time I ran at the University of Delaware, the time I thought I was building from, not ending with.  It's disappointing.  Yes, it is.  All things considered, though, I guess I could have run slower.

800 meters at 2013 USA Indoor Track & Field National Championships

And then there was the 4x400.  I was ready, though achy, even though I had cooled down generously and stretched as well as I could.  I would run anchor.  Standing in the paddock area I could see that I'd be going up against Kyle Lanier, who had a slightly faster split than I at Millrose.  I figured we'd be ahead of his team, TNT, and we wouldn't square off.  So much for that assumption.

Craig led off with a strong leg, much like his open 400.  He handed the baton to Dave Richard in third in front of TNT's Kareem Lanier, who was in hot pursuit.   Nick took the baton in third and ran an even race, although it was evident that his several events (two 60m race, LJ, TJ, 4x200, with the shot put to go) had taken their toll.  Michael Jackson from TNT caught him with about 150m to go.  Nick held him off as best he could, but Mike had a slight lead at the handoff.  I heard Nick scream for me to go, but he was laboring coming in and I didn't want to bolt.  Also, honestly, my strategy was to get behind Kyle, pace him and get him at the end.  And that's what I tried to do, but it just didn't happen. 

When we took our batons the crowd did a gulp! 
Everyone knew what was up.  I tucked in behind him and hit his heels at about the 150m mark.  Soon afterwards he took off.  I did, too.  Both of us passed the SoCal guy on the back stretch.  As I continued to press, I felt my leg cramp up.  With 50 meters to go, I was in bad shape.  I writhed in pain as I crossed the finish line.  
I could scarcely manage a 56-second split.  I needed ice immediately, for my calf and for my ego.  I didn't care that I was hurt; I was still supposed to catch him!  I was miffed. 

It's time to recuperate and get back to training.  I want so desperately to get some good training in as we slide towards Penn Relays.  I don't want a repeat of last year's debacle.

Saturday, 3/23--Rob and I hung out in the hotel for a good while and decided to head to the arena a little later.  We arrived in time enough to see some good 200s.  I met up with my relay squad and eventually warmed up.  All ready for the 4x200 race, we were assigned lane 2.  Yes!  I was just inside Junior Hyman of TNT.  My blocks were set nicely.  And the gun went off!  I got out well and found myself way behind the Nate Sickerson but gaining on Junior over the first 100.  He maintained better than I did over the last 50 and handed off tied with me.  Nick Damalas ran the turn nicely--still in his lane on this race--and held his own.  Wayne Foulke had a strong race as well.  Ross O'Neil got the baton in third and nicely reeled in a guy from SoCal.  Ross' last 60 meters were impressive.  We got second in 1:42.74. 

I had to soak after the 200.  When we got back from dinner at Outback, I watched a bit of the game that was on and then I crashed!

Friday, 3/22--Rob Schwartz and I headed out at just after 7:30, figuring we'd be at the MD stadium some time around 10:30.  We got there and settled in, preparing for our 1:00 race.  I did a little jogging outside on the track and made my way to the warm-up area inside.  I checked in for my race (declaration) and stayed loose.  I stretched well and, feeling pretty good, did my PT exercises and some striders.  After one of the pick-ups I felt my hip flexor tighten.  I went to the onsite PT for a little help.  Before I knew it we were within minutes of the race.  Like the other runners, we hopped on the track for some turn running.  Unfortunately for Rob, his turned running turned ugly when he caught a cramp in his leg right right before his race.  I came to his assistance, along with a masseuse.  He was patched back together but imperfectly.  He made it through his race but with great displeasure. 

Now it was my turn.  There were 4 in our heat, and I was in lane 6...AGAIN!  And there was no one in lane 5.  Can you believe it?  I got out reasonably well, but I was less aggressive than I had been previously.  In fact, coming off the turn I could see that a guy from an inner lane had me.  What's more, Craig Strimel surged ahead of me at the break.  I decided to run a patient race and see what would happen.  On the backstretch I could sense that the leader was slowing down.  For a split second, I thought about barreling down the backstretch.  I decided against it because 1) I had waited too long and should have done so coming onto the backstretch and 2) I may not have had anything left coming up the homestretch.  So, I waited.  Coming off the final turn and into the straightaway I just got my knees up and was able to pass Craig for a distant second (55.38) in the heat and 7th overall.  I was about a second off where I wanted to be in this race, but I figured that 55 seconds would be in the cards given my injury.

Open 400 2013 T&F Masters National Championship Landover, MD

I had great time watching March Madness (LaSalle) and eating dinner with Daryll, Rob, Craig, his wife Maggie and their kiddos at TGI Friday.

Thursday, 3/21--In the evening, I visited Ryan, my PT, desperate to fix myself in preparation for Nationals, beginning with the 400 on Friday.  He worked some magic and did his best, working with me for over an hour.  We did stretching, massage therapy, even treadmill running.  I felt much better, but I was far from 100%. 




No comments:

Post a Comment