Saturday, February 9, 2013

the race was topsy-turvy

Friday, 2/7/13--

I arrived at Ursinus at about 2:25, which gave me plenty of time to get registered and acclimated.   After a while, I warmed up a mile or so and stretched, with a focus on gluteous stretches and nerve gliding. Closer to my event I did some drills and a couple of 20 meter pick-ups.
My periformis was acting up to say the least.  In fact, I drove to the venue switching back and forth between cheeks.

My first event was the 60m at about 4:30 or so.  I was in heat 3, line 3.  The race went okay.  I got out reasonably well but I didn't execute the race very well.  I did not feel any pop, and I don't think I reached top-end speed, thus my 8.02.

My 800 would go off at 7:00 or so.  I was in heat 3 (of 4), "lane" 11 with a seed time of 2:08.2 (although I had submitted online a seed time of 2:07.79). Only 7-8 showed for the race.

I got out pretty well, cutting in rather quickly.  I found myself in third place pretty immediately.  I could see that there were contenders to my outside and feel that a couple were right behind me. They challenged me, going around me and cutting into my stride.  I think I reached the 200 in 31.  I was boxed in during the next lap and found myself locked up in elbows with the youngsters to my outside, as I was still in lane 1.  I even clipped somebody's heels.  I then went around him when the coast was clear.  I was probably at 63 for the 400.  The third lap saw me slow up for the same reason.  I was relaxed at least and plotting my next move.  I tried to push the fourth lap.  Knowing I had 100 meters to go , I decided I would wait until the last 60 meters to overtake the guy ahead of me.  And I did.  I got third, pleased with my show of strength on the homestretch but disappointed that the race was topsy-turvy.  I wish there had been a clock display like there was at the Delaware meet.

The winning time in my heat was 2:06.  I ran 2:09.92.
I think my splits were:
:31-
:63+(31+/:32+)
1:36+(33)
2:09+(33)
OR

31+
32+
33
33

No comments:

Post a Comment