Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cut into the lead: Millrose

Saturday, Feb 16

Millrose.

Had a good drive up to NYC with newcome to GPTC Dave Richards (an English teacher at my son's high school) and Parrish (a student at Rosemont College), having stopped by Craig's house in the Cherry Hill, NJ area (Collingsworth?).

Met up with the rest of the team at 2:15 or so in the lower gym area at the venue.

Unlike last year when we hung around to watch some races, this year we warmed up on the track, stretched a bit, did some pick-ups, strides and drills, and then spent a good deal of time in the lower level gym area with a bunch of other athletes.

Had some discussion about our M40 4x400 lineup.  I had planned to go first, but I was told Nick Damalas really wanted the spot, so I conceded.  I would run second, Dave third, and Craig anchor.

The race...

Nick got out well and brought the stick to me slightly ahead of the guy in forth place. I felt smooth across the first 200 and saw that I had cut into the lead of the guy in front of me.  Going into the first turn of the second lap I knew I had momentum to overtake him.  Midway through the turn I drifted into lane 1.5, so to speak, and began to pass him.  By the time I did we were well into the backstretch.  Coming down the homestretch, however, he came back at me as I began to tighten (Arrgghh). We handed off just about even.  

Dave ran tough and maintained position, as did Craig.  Kyle Lanier from TNT, running a gutsy race, gained on Dave but fell shy a few meters by the time the handoff came.  Dave and Craig ran nearly identical races. 

When we finished, our teammates in the stands gave us the following approximate splits:
56.55 Nick
54.45 Delvin
56.55 Dave
56.45 Craig
3:44.0 (hand timed, of course)

Boy was I pretty pleased, that is, until Craig showed me the "official" splits:

56.75 Nick Damalas
54.99 - 1:51.73 Delvin Dinkins
56.46 - 2:48.19 David Richard
56.05 - 3:44.24 Craig Strimel

Greater Philadelphia 3:44.24 (Fully Automatic Timing)

I thought I had posted 54-mid.  I gained a half second.  Oh well.  At least I can say I broke the 55-second barrier.  It is noteworthy, however, that just for the record, we switched the running order.  Therefore, the splits listed on The Armory's page may be correct but the names associated with the splits are not.  For instance, Nick, not I, ran first. 

The rest of our comrades put on a good showing, particularly the M50 4x400. Darryl ran well, Bruce had a PR for the reason, and Ray dropped the gauntlet, splitting 56.05. He, too, initially thought he had run faster. Oh well.
DMR--tried hard but was a tough race from what I understand.

4x200--younger guys got third in their heat, I believe, posting 1:36.  The handoff to Parrish was botched.  Note to Parrish: pull your incoming runner through the zone rather than let him crash into you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment