Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Head case

Wednesday, 9/2/09--.6 to the start of Rustin's XC course in 5:20. Did the course in 25:00, then continued on my way to Ashley and then home (an additional .85) in 36:30. Total: about 4.6 miles.

Yesterday I took off, thinking that I would try my luck at a 5K over at the Westtown School, the last in a summer series. I warmed up a mile, stretched some, and chatted it up with a few folks.

I felt okay when the race began, hanging alongside Jim, one of the Tuesday morning guys. I was doing just fine, hitting about under 6 minutes for the first mile. But then I began to panic and engage in negative self-talk. Before I knew it I had lost all confidence that I could finish the race to the standard I had set for myself. And that's when it happened: I stopped...right around the 1.5 mile mark in 8:51.98, a time/numbers that will undoubtedly haunt me. I am officially a head case. The worst thing a runner can become accustomed to doing is stopping...during a workout and especially during a meet. And now I've done both! How hopeless am I?

Total 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment