Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fat chance, she tells me

Sunday, September 20, 2009.

Yesterday I did a 5K in downtown West Chester called Half-Way to St. Pat's. The race proceeds would benefit the oncology department at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). My kids joined me in the race, along with about 75 other runners and walkers. It was great to see me line up with my young daughter and now high school age son! From the get-go, I felt pretty good, reminding myself to stay relaxed while in third place. My son was right alongside me. Scott Burns, the leader, increased his lead with every stride it appeared. At the mile mark, I realized that my son and I had cut into the lead of the runner in second place. By the half-way mark, I passed him, as did my son. At the two mile mark, I heard my son's shoes clapping the pavement, as he pulled alongside me. I was thinking how great it was to see him keep up and make a go for taking down his old man. I surged for a couple of seconds, thinking he would go with me, but he didn't. I told myself to stay relaxed and focused during the last mile. The sound of footsteps faded until the last 1K, when I heard what I thought was the guy who was originally in second place. As it turned out, it was another guy, tall and lanky, who pulled alongside me with a 1/4 mile to go. He seemed determined. The pace quickened, and before you knew it we were in a full blown sprint. Buoyed by cheers from John Manion, with whom I run on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings, who said, "Don't let him break you," I stayed the course, literally, and out kicked him to the line. I am not sure exactly what I ran, but will find out shortly. I think it was 18:30 or so, or 5:59 per mile. I was more impressed with me son, who finished in 18:59, and my daughter, who ran her first 5K in 26:27. Amazing day for our family. We went to the awards ceremony and post-race party for some food. Now if only I could get my wife out running! Fat chance, she tells me.

Today--recovery run. I'm looking to head out to the Penn Oaks within the next hour and back. I will likely take it easy with 8 minute/mile pace. About 31 miles for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment