Sunday, August 26, 2018

hovering

Sun, 8/26-Today I was scheduled to do a 90-min run. I did most of it!

10.75M recovery run in a lazy, post-race time of 85:40, averaging just under 8:00 per mile (7:58).


Sat, 8/25

Competed in a sprint triathlon relay in Wildwood with Rob and his colleague Tom. Tom swam .25M, Rob biked 10M, and I ran the 5K. I arrived at Tom's house in Ocean City at 9:30 Friday evening. After only modest rest, we rose at about 4:00 AM, left at 4:20, and arrived in Wildwood at about 5:00. I registered and then we began to get race ready.

Lots of people. Festive atmosphere, especially for so early in the morning. As it turns out, there were about 1,500 competitors across several races, some at the same time, some staggered. The sprint triathlon relay was but one.

Tom got us an excellent start (I believe we were in second or third at the transition), and we just maintained our position among the 38 relay teams from there. After some confusion with our place, turns out we won in 1:01.18 and missed the course record by 14 seconds.

The 5K course was mostly on the beach. I tried to use the wet sand (the first 1200m probably) until it ran out. My 5K leg was pedestrian 20:56 (6:43 per mile, per the website. Seems it should be 6:44 per mile, but who's counting.). According to what Rob said, the tracker indicated I really picked things up on the stretch that was run on the boardwalk, maybe even hovering under 6:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment