Wednesday, July 13, 2016

just how much effort is required to be race-fit

Tues, 7/12/16-Made my way to the GA meet to "compete" in the mile and 800.  I was late (didn't arrive until 6:00) and thus had to park in the parking lot in the academic part of the campus.  Knowing I am neither 100% healthy nor well conditioned, I wrote seed times of 6:01 and 2:21.  My hope was to avoid the fast heats altogether.  I managed that, as I was placed in heat 2 of each race.

Mile: Seeded 10th in my heat, I went out very comfortably, hitting the first quarter in 1:20.  I slowed a bit on the second lap and managed a 2:43 800.  Waving tony teammates and fixing my race sticker during the final lap, I finished up in what I thought was 5:48; the official times was 5:50, however.  While I wasn't terribly pressed, I do feel like my effort reflected a 5:15, not a 5:50.  I guess that's what happens when you're out of shape.

800: Seeded 3rd in my heat, I found myself in 4th at the 200.  I hit the mark in 33.  I settled down into a decent rhythm, hitting the 400 in 1:09.  I maintained this pace over the next 200, reaching the 600 mark in 1:45.  I finished up in 2:23, in 4th place in my heat with a 38-second last 200.  UGLY!  Like in the mile, my teammates cheered me on and told me not to press.  I really appreciated their support.

Even though I have done repeats sub-6:00 repeat miles and could once manage a 2:23 at the end of a challenging workout, I am more humbled than frustrated.  I am realizing more and more not to take my body (health) for granted and not to forget just how much effort is required to be race-fit.

Mon, 7/11/16-took off on account of my plans to "compete" at the Germantown Academy meet.

Sun, 7/10/16-took off


No comments:

Post a Comment