Sunday, August 17, 2014

Yasso 800s over rolling hills

Sat, 8/16-- My workout was 8x800 at my 5K goal pace of 17:15.  This means my 800s had to be in about 2:45.  The rest would equal the running time, 2:45.  Some people call them Yasso 800s, I guess.  Anyway, as was the case exactly two years ago when I did this workout, I decided to use the XC course across the street from my house, with its rolling hills, to give my feet a break from the track and street surfaces.  Besides, my knee has been bothering me this past week.

Like last year, even at high noon, today was a near perfect day for the workout: little humidity, warm but not sweltering, and a light wind to keep the air fresh and moving.  I just wish I had had someone to run with!  

I took time to measure 800m (not 880 yards; the difference is about 5 yards).  The 800m distance that I ran was from the telephone pole at Plumly and Shiloh Roads to the very top/end of the stretch of corn fields that lead to the paved path.  I'd run from one end to the next, take my rest period, and run from that end back.  My first 800 was from the end of the corn field to the telephone pole at Plumly and Shiloh.

My runs were: 2:47, 2:42, 2:42, 2:42, 2:44, 2:46, 2:48, 2:35.  I took an extra minute (3:45) between runs 7 and 8.  I was really weakened, having not had enough fluids or any breakfast other than a handful of nuts an hour before.  Stupid.  

All together, this was a pretty good attempt, comparable to what I did two years ago: 2:45, 2:46, 2:47, 2:44, 2:46, 2:43, 2:48, 2:33.   My notes don't indicate which course markers I used in 2012, so I hope the distance was the same.

Friday, 8/15--I took off from work today; I found out that I have strep throat.  Just peachy!  People from Horizon were scheduled to install our new furnace.  (They did a great job, BTW.)

I went to the YMCA with my wife, and did a bit of my usual: mile on donut track, upper body lifting, Mile on treadmill, upper body lifting/stretch, mile on donut, upper body lifting/stretch, .5M on donut (we were running late).  Miles on track were 6:40 and 6:30 (although I am still skeptical about the 16 laps equaling a mile; I think it's more like 17.)  The first mile on the treadmill was 6:35; the .5M was 3:20.


38-minute workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment