Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I sagged like a heavy load.

Tuesday, 8/11-Went to WC Henderson for a workout.  The marathoners had 3x1.5M, with a 400m jog between sets.  Others of us had 1.5M, 1M, and 800m, with a 400m jog between sets.  I did the latter workout, but barely.  9:58, 6:17, 2:56.  The 400m rest consisted on a walk/jog.  The workout was tough, and reminded me that I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Monday, 8/10-took off

Sun, 8/9--Runner's Pentathlon--I arrived at Germantown Academy for the Runner's Pentathlon at about 7:40 or so, knowing that it started at 8:30.  As it turned out, the heats were such that I had plenty of time to warm up.  

The first event was the 3000.   My goal was to run 82s per lap.  Fat chance.  I started out okay, but fell way off pace by the mile mark.  78, 2:39, 4:04, 5:36,...11:00.  My bad started killing me. I was supposed to run close to 10:15.  Not a great start at low 70-something points.  I had to keep myself motivated after this mess.  I found myself in 15th place.

It was time for the 200.   I was in lane 4; Kevin was in lane 5, and3two younger kids were in lanes 2 and 3.   The gun went off.  I caught Kevin on the stagger, and thought I had a commanding lead coming into the straightaway.  I could feel one of the younger guys surging back.  He caught me in the last 20 meters, which is when I started to lean.  I posted 25-something.  Not a great time, but I knew the points would be better than they were in the 3K.

Time for the 1500.  Argghh.  My goal was to run 75s per lap.  I couldn't even manage that.  Shame on me!  I think I hit 77, 2:37, 4:00, 4:57.  I was supposed to run 4:45.  Fewer points than expected.  Low 70s.

And then the 100 reared its head.  I was thankful for the sprint.   My 100 heat composition was the same as the 200.  I was in lane 3 again.  I had a good start.  I accidentally kept my head down for most of the race, sort of just looking at my shadow.  "Stop marveling, Dinkins!' I lifted my head (and my knees) with 25m to go and I was home...in 12.52.  Again, not great, but points are points afterall.

Finally, the 400 awaited me.  I was in lane 2, and I thought the guy in lane 3 was faster than I am.  I figured I would keep pace with the guy, just hang on, and sling-shot off the last turn and into the straightaway.  And that's exactly what happened.  But, I went out way too slow, 28sec at the 200!   I kept my pace with as I bent around the turn.  Coming out of the turn, I just lifted and I was home free in pedestrian 57.01.  Yuck, a far cry from my season's best of 53!

And there--I had done it--the Runner's Pent.  I earned 9th place behind some strong competitors.  Even though my score was a point higher than what I had earned two years ago, I sagged like a heavy load.

No comments:

Post a Comment