Friday, August 31, 2012

What does that say?

Fri, 8/31


Thurs, 8/30--Per my routine, I met up with the crew at the country club in town.  On the docket was the usual run (7.9M around town), with pick-ups beginning at Rosedale.  Today's would be 6 x 2 minutes on, 1 minute off.  By the time we reached Rosedale, the roughly 10 of us who were planning to do the pick-ups had separated from the 10 who planned to do steadier run.  The 10 of us planning to do the pick-ups were Scott Burns, Kevin Kelly, John Manion, John (JB), John Callahan, Ed, Shawn, Pat, a guy whose name I can't recall, and me. 

We began at 15:30 at Rosedale, about the 2.1M mark (I finally measured!).  The first pick-up felt relaxed.  Scott and the others began ahead of Pat, Shawn and me.  Thus we were a few meters behind from the start.  Over the first two minutes, we lost about 15 meters or so on them.  We'd catch up during the 1 minute rest.  Over the next 2-minute pick-up they extend their distance to 25 meters by the end of the period.  Jogging to catch up with them would prove formidable.  So, Pat, Shawn and I sort of formed our own default second tier group, that is until Shawn backed off after the third or fourth one.  By the time we reached the fifth segment, Scott's group appeared to be a tenth of a mile ahead.  We all stopped in 32:30.  However, Scott's group finished on Lincoln Avenue about 50 meters from the Turner Lane stop sign.  (Fern Hill Elem is on Lincoln).  My group finished on Lincoln Ave but slightly over a tenth of a mile back.  While my legs felt dead, my breathing was fine.  What does that say?

Scott's group had gone about 2.8M over the 17-minute period of 2 minutes on/1 minute off (avg 6:04 pace)  My group had gone 2.68M over the same time frame.  They had reached the 4.9M mark, and I had reached about 4.78M mark (avg 6:20 pace). 

We would take the remaining portion of the 7.9M route easy.  We all finished in 57:00 (7:13 pace), not bad considering we running easy and the top group had stopped for nearly a minute and my group had come to a near crawl for the same amount of time. 

By the way, I keep forgetting that the mark I believe to be 4 miles is actually 3.95M.  I have to remember that.  We reached this point, the coner of E. Chestnut and N. Penn Streets, at 27:15, having been doing picks at that point for 1.85M.

No comments:

Post a Comment