Tuesday, March 22, 2022

2022 USATF Masters Indoor Championships and hamstring woes...again

3/21/22-

Went to the Mountain View Park and did a 3M recovery run in 25:35. Left hamstring woes continue. Then went to the Y to stretch and lift a little.

3/20/22-

Day 3 of the 2022 USATF Masters Indoor Championships. After pulling my hamstring in yesterday's 4x200MR, I found myself miffed but still determined to help my team. I jogged around here and there and spent more of the day standing, in order to avoid having my hamstring tighten up. GPTC enjoyed a clear third place in the competition, but perhaps there was still a possibility for our team to secure a higher finish.

John Curtis and Jacques Lucien would reach the finals of the M55 200m, with Wayne barely missing it with an impressive time. Bruce would make it to the M60 final. John would post a very good performance in the finals of the M55 200. Jacques would jog it for points. Bruce would score as well.

I was a no-show for the 800m, figuring I was in no position to run well. I would have been in the slower of the two heats (with Will Martin and Rob Ciervo) and would not have scored against the runners in the faster heat even if I had been 100%. 

When the time came for the M50 4x400, I had no delusions of grandeur. I said a number of times that I would race on the team but could only go as fast as about 70 seconds, on account of my hamstring pull. I'd run anchor in order to protect the first three legs in John Curtis, Will Martin, and Rob Ciervo. I'd get the baton in first by about 30 meters. As expected, I "dragged" my pulled left hamstring the entire leg of the race. I went out in about 35 seconds. With 150m to go, it was clear that the guy from Mass Velocity was gaining on me. In a flash of pride, I picked it up some and secured the victory for the team, splitting 68 seconds. Haha. (Even if we had been passed, we still would have won the M50 competition since the Mass Velocity team was technically M55.)

https://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&do=videos&video_id=325401

Even though this year's championship was a huge disappointment for me, I was thrilled to see some really amazing performances across any number of events. And while our campaign to take the club team title would not materialize, I was especially proud that our combined men's and women's team grabbed a third place finish overall, with men also getting an award for third. The women took fifth.

May be an image of 6 people and people standing

May be an image of 8 people and people standing

3/19/22

After a paltry showing in the 400 yesterday, I was certain I'd shake off the molasses and lift my spirits with a strong leg in the 4x200 meter relay. We had the lead going into my third leg, and it would hold despite me pulling my hamstring on the backstretch. M50 4x200 meter relay-GPTC

26.1/26.0--John

26.6/26.7-Ross

27.0/26.9-Delvin (pulled hamstring 75m in!)

26.3/26.4-Nick Damalas

1:46.0/1:46.0

3/18/22-

Today was my 400m day. I felt good during my warmup, feeling it was time for me to run 56 and perhaps place in the top 4. When the gun went off, I felt flat. I crossed the 200 in 27 and finished up in 58.30. What a disappointment!

https://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&do=videos&video_id=325413

Fortunately, GPTC has several strong performances across other events to compensate. 

Thurs, 3/17/22-

I arrive at the Marriott in Teaneck at close to 10PM. Kudos for Nick for inviting me to room with him.

Here's my FB post: I’m at the 2022 USATF Masters Indoor Championships at The Armory in NYC from March 18 – 20. My events include the 400 meters, 800 meters, 4x200 meter relay, and 4x400 meter relay, under the team Greater Philadelphia Track Club. Catch all the action on USATF.tv+! #USATFMasters #USATF

Wed, 3/16/22-Still in Aruba. Ran a couple of miles and stretched.

No comments:

Post a Comment