Tuesday, September 4, 2018

From the Facebook Vault

Here are a couple of workouts I'd love to try. Someone posted this set of final workouts before heading to Worlds in Malaga. It appears as originally written from the Facebook vault:

Tuesday was 2 x 4 min at 5:30 mile pace with 1 min recovery then 3 x 3 min at about 78 sec quarters pace with 2 min recovery and then 4 x 1 min at 67-68 sec pace with 2 min recovery. I struggled a little with the transition to the faster paces as I think my legs were still tired from last week.

Saturday: final tune up before Worlds. 4 x mile with 90 sec rest on the track. Goal was to start out relatively comfortable and then drop my pace on each one to where the last was sort of fast. Goal was 5:45, 5:40, 5:35, 5:25. Again, my legs didn't have a ton of zip and I had some negative thoughts going through my head, but it's amazing how you can grind through a workout when you are in good shape. Actual splits 5:43, 5:37, 5:33, and 5:24. Went into the well a little bit on the last one, closing with a 78 sec quarter.

It's hard to believe that Worlds are just around the corner. A little over a year ago, I started putting my plan together to start slowly building up in order to compete at 1500 to 5000 instead of 800/1500 that I had done previously. My hat goes off to those of you that can hammer fast reps to prepare for the 800, but I seemed to get injured doing that. So I'm feeling very fortunate to have found a training program that seems to work for me as I've been able to train all year with only a couple small hiccups along the way. This forum has been very helpful in keeping me motivated through the process and as a result I'm as fit as I've ever been in my masters career. Thank you. Steeple on the 7th, 5000 on the 12th and 1500 prelims on the 15th and hopefully 1500 finals on the 16th.

No comments:

Post a Comment