Sunday, September 9, 2018

did the trick

Sept. 9, 2018-

On this soggy, cool day I scheduled myself for 15x1 min up a shallow hill; walk back down recovery. I went to the ridge at Colonial Park. 

I arrived at the Millstone entrance to D&R Canal State Park. It was still drizzling as I jogged 1.48M (12:45, or about 8:37 per mile pace) to the site (pavilion) in Colonial as my warmup.

Starting at the portion of the sidewalk (that leads to the pavilion) closet to the park marker (near where the sidewalk intersects with the parking lot), I made my way up the soggy stretch of glass to the tree line. My 60-sec runs ranged between .30km (300m) and .30km (310m). or about .19M. Per the instructions, I walked back down to the origin, for a generous rest of 3 minutes, 30 seconds (30 seconds less rest than last month's 10x1 min effort).

Now that I am blogging, I realized I may have run only 14 hills, not 15. I covered 5.36M of hills, including up and down. At .19M a stretch (or .38M per loop), the total humber of hills would be 14.

Hourlong workout.

Talk about swamp foot!

I cooled down the same way I warmed up...1.48M (11:15, or 7:56 per mile pace).

Moderate workout.

Sat, 9/8/18-

Went to my alma mater to join my daughter in competing in the Alumni vs. Students XC meet. The day was less humid but quite soggy. The temperature at meet time was about 65 degrees.

At about 25, there were fewer alums than expected.

The course was challenging and muddy! In fact, as soon as I started sloshing I realized this was going  to be more of tempo run. The hill coming up from Crum meadow was difficult (I know my first mile was about 6:20), but the left turn towards the overpass and the stretch past Dana, Hallowell, and Wharton towards Parrish took a lot out of me.

Mile two ended right before the tunnel, although the official marker (2.19) could be found right before entering the Crum again (probably for convenience?).

I finished up the 3.13M course in just under 20:00 in 19:59. At 6:23/mile, each mile was within five seconds of each other.

I had a good time after the race. Food (hoagies and pizza), folks (family, alums, current students), and fun (beer and recognitions) did the trick.






No comments:

Post a Comment