Saturday, February 1, 2014

The YMCA lied (a mile is not a mile)...and an Awful Week (weak) of Minimalism

Fri 1/30-

took day off.  An awful week of minimalism.  I'm in a funk.  Let me get out of it with a good workout today.

Thurs 1/29--Y day.  3 miles, alternating with weights.  Snow-covered everything...still.

Wed 1/28--Y day.  3 miles, alternating...

Tues, 1/27--awful hill workout

Mon 1/26--Y day. 3 miles alternating...

I am so miffed at the Y.  The Y's indoor track reads 16 laps/mile.  I actually thought, perhaps stupidly, that my repeat miles on it over the past 3 years were, well, miles.  I was duped into believing that my times, whether for warming up or pushing the pace, were actually honest.  I guess not.  After running the mile at Glen Mills on Sunday, I think that the Y has been lying.  There is scarcely a chance that the 16 laps equal a mile if I couldn't even come close to matching my time on it.  I ran a crappy 5:10.07, well off the 4:49 I ran on the Y's track.  My guess is that the track is 17-18 laps per mile, not 16.  Terrible would be if the track is actually 19-20 laps per mile; it's possible.   I bet the mile measurement is for the outer wall, not lane 1 or even lane 2.  So, maybe lane 1 is 17-18 laps per mile, lane 2 is 17 laps per mile, and the wall is 16 laps per mile.  This all means that I've been getting a terribly false read on my fitness.  Dyslexia.  Dammit!

I sort of did measure and it seems that it's 85 meters from lane 1 and probably 90 meters around in lane 2.

I think I'm going to seethe manager and then call my congressman!


No comments:

Post a Comment