Sunday, February 9, 2014

Strategy Error

Sun, 2/9--mile/lift/mile/lift/mile/stretch/half-mile cool down


Sat, 2/8--Frank Colden Invite at Ursinus.  I arrived at the meet at around 9:30 in hopes of being registered for the 400 and 200.  I wasn't officially registered as it turns out, although I had correspondent with coach/meet director, Chris Bayless.  I wound up registering for just the 400, given the steep $25/event.

I warmed up nice and hard, thinking that my race would be within the hour.  My race wouldn't go off until about 11:30.  I checked in.  I felt the tightness and lactic acid in my legs, but I would just deal.  I ran about 6-7 50 meter hard strides.  I started to tighten up during the last 35 minutes before my race, however.  I just kept jogging and stretching and striding.  I checked again once more for my heat and lane assignments.  Given my pipe dream of a seed time, 53.72, my PB as a masters runner, I knew I'd be in a fast heat.  I was assigned heat 5 (out of 7), lane 4.  I loved the lane, hated the heat.  I should have provided a more realistic appraisal of myself.  Perhaps 54.72.  This may have gotten me into heat 4, but would I have been assigned lane 2, 3, or 4?  Who knows?   Bad seed time: strategy error 1.

So there I was, in lane 4 and in the midst of 5 youngsters.  I settled into my starting blocks as the gun was raised.  I imagined myself catching the guy to my right over the first 50-100 meters.  Crack!  The gun went off.  I got out pretty well, but realized by the 100m mark that I had not made a dent in the stagger.  In fact, a guy from my inside had caught me by then and two other guys were on their way.  At the break, I was in last, owing to the fact that I slept on the second turn.  Strategy error 2.  At the 200 mark, I realized that I would beat the guy right in front of me and possibly catch the one in front of him.  However, I did not want to take the chance of passing him going into the turn.  Instead, I waited and passed him on the backstretch.  I then set my eyes on the two guys in front of me.  I made up a little on them, but they wound up beating me by 5-7 meters.  My time, 54.85, was my best this season, but well off the brilliant one Berra posted, 53.18.

Going into Millrose, here's the Best Case Scenario Prediction:
Berra-52.9
Delvin-53.9
Scott-54.9
Craig-55.9

Millrose Realistic Case Scenario:

Berra-53.5
Delvin-54.5
Scott-55.5
Craig-56.5, given what Craig has said about his fitness level


Fri, 2/7--took off


Thurs, 2/6-No power.  Campus open.  Used treadmill.  On treadmill: 6x 2:00 at 4:35 pace. 4:00 rest.


Wed, 12/5-took off.  Snow.  White out.  No power.  No work.


Tues, 12/4-mile/lift/mile/lift/mile.


No comments:

Post a Comment