Saturday, December 7, 2013

Shaving a second off each lap is a goal for sure.

Sat, 12/7--

I left the Board meeting a bit after 10:30 to make my way to Ursinus in time enough for the 800.  I arrived at about 11:20, and the last heat of the 400 was wrapping up.  The mile would follow.  After checking in and setting a seed time of 2:09, I began my warm up.  I jogged to the track and did .75 and jogged back to the field house, for a total run of about 8:30-9:00.  I did some dynamic stretching, followed by some static stretching.  I was tight.  I lubed up with Icy Hot and did some 50m strides.  I checked in, even though I didn't hear my event called.  I learned that I was in the first of 3-4 heats but listed on the check-in sheet twice, as David Dinkins and as Delvin Dinkins.  Davis was seeded second in the heat; Delvin was seeded twelfth.  That's because I initially told the meet director that my seed time was 2:07.  When I registered onsite, I listed 2:09 as my time.

After checking in, I continued stretching and felt the tightness in my muscles subside a bit.  I did about a half-dozen more strides over the next 30 minutes, including while the 4x200 was in progress.

So we were at the line ready to go.  I was to the far outside.  And the gun went off.  I dashed towards the front of the heat, situating myself in second.  I was in a good position, but felt the lead runner slow a bit.  Another runner blew by both of us.  I hit 31-high/32-low at the 200.  By this time and now in 3rd place, I knew I had to pass the guy in front of me.  At the 250m mark, I did.  I also started making my way at the guy now in first.  I caught him on the homestretch.  I crossed the 400m in 64.  I felt comfortable.  I ran the third lap in the lead.  At the 650m, a youngster passed me.  I kept pace with him over the next 100m and closed the gap coming up the homestretch.  I was pleased with my race, even though I wish the time had been faster than 2:09.58.  The race was even and felt good, though.  Shaving a second off each lap is a goal for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment