Sunday, December 29, 2013

ALMOST!

December 29--I got up this morning, watched in episode of The Walking Dead on Netflix and then worked out at the Y.  I did a mile on the donut track (6:25), lifted a bit, a mile on the treadmill (6:20), lifted some more, and did another mile on the track (5:55).  This served as a recovery workout

December 28--Sprint Night at the Armory--NYC
I met up with Craig, Daryl and Wayne  at Craig's house at about 2:45, before departing for NYC at close to 3:00.   We arrived at about 5:40 for the 6:00 PM meet, which, lo and behold, was running on time.  I was thankful I was able to warm up on the track and not in the second floor corridor.  I did a 7:45 mile, put on a ton of Icy Hot, and then began my stretching routine.  I did 50 knee-drives, 6 sets of 30 seconds of right-over-lefts, and leg stretches on the higher railings surrounding the track.  I then put on my spikes and did 5x60m on the track, coming off the turn and through the straightaways.  Our first event, the 400, was called at about 6:45.  It was check-in time.  I continued stretching as we all stood in line waiting for heat assignments.  I was initially assigned LANE 6 in heat 4.  I was a little bummed.  Just as I was getting accustomed to the idea and developing my race strategy, we were all told to forget our assignments, as the race needed to be reseeded since several runners had not been accounted for.  Upon the second try, I was LANE 4 in heat 5.  Loved the change.  

When the gun went off, I got out pretty well and ran the curve reasonably well, although I stumbled onto the inner line.  By the 100m mark I could sense that  the guy in lane 6 would beat me to the cone and the guy runner in lane 5 would be close to me.  He wound up beating me to the cone as well, as I tried to avoid a collision.   I also didn't want to over-exert myself for position.  Since the runner seemed to slow, I tried to pass him, approaching the 200 in 25 and reaching it in 26.  Unfortunately, I was out of position and stumbled over his legs.  I then had to swing wide around the turn, running more distance in order not to lose my momentum. 



 I felt okay on the backstretch.  


Turning onto the homestretch, 


I watched as the clock reached 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54….  


Did I do it?  Did I?  I waited and no….I saw 55.18 F.A.T.  Argh.  A little off of last yea's 55.11.  I thought I had a chance to break55 seconds, but the tactical error cost me.  The winner ran 52 and change.

I felt okay afterwards and was able to walk well. I prepared myself for the 200.  I tried to stay loose . I was assigned lane 4 (again) in heat 7.    I made a conscious choice to go after the 25-second barrier 5 minutes before the race.  I stumbled on the turn a little bit, stepping onto the line.  


At the 100 mark, I realized I was in second.  I came off the turn and just tried to get on my toes, as I saw 23, 24, 25…. 


Time: 25.07 F.A.T., getting second.  A little more umph and I could have broken the 25-second barrier.   Almost!  Encouraging.


It was great hanging out with my teammates.

No comments:

Post a Comment