Tuesday, December 10, 2013

4:49! Can there be a miler in me?

Tuesday, 12/10-

On account of the snowstorm, school was closed today and I was at home with the fam.  Technically, the storm did not begin until 8 or 9.  After hemming and hawing, I drove to EA to retrieve something and figured that maybe I’d get in a workout while there.  As the snowfall increased and the weather conditions worsened, I knew that getting in a track workout was unlikely.  I drove back home.  When I got there, I had this nagging feeling that I needed to get in the workout.  So, I decided to make it a Y-Day!  And I’m glad I did!

I warmed up a mile on the treadmill (8:30)
Stretched for (5:00)
Ran a mile on the 16 lap/mile donut track (5:45)
Lifted upper body (4:00)
Back on the treadmill (6:30)
Upper Body lift (4:00)
Mile on the donut (5:29)
Upper Body lift (4:00)
Treadmill (6:30)
Stretched (4:00)
Mile on the donut (4:49!!!!!)

Yes, 4:49.  During the first half of the run, I had the track to myself.  While I was stretching, I calculated that I needed to run each lap in just under 19 seconds in order to run a 5-minute mile.

First lap=16 sec
After 2 laps (1/8M)=34 sec
After 4 laps (1/4M)=70 sec
After 8 laps (1/2M)=2:22
After 16 laps (1M)=4:49 (2:27 second half mile)
I thought I’d never say this, but I wonder whether I have a future in the mile.  Perhaps the Y has given me newfound confidence in the event.  4:49!  Can there be a miler in me?

If I choose to run the mile at Armory in January, I think I could handle 35 sec/lap.

If I choose to run the mile at Widener in Feb, I think I could handle 28 sec/lap.


The question is whether I will still be in mile shape since I will have transitioned to more sprint work.

Incidentally, I think there is a 6:00 AM mile time trial next Tuesday.  I'll plan to arrive early to get a good warm up.  What I am realizing is that I run better the more extensive warm up I've had.  The challenge is finding the time for it.

Monday, 12/9-went to the Y and did some leg work.  5 machines/20 min max.

No comments:

Post a Comment