Tuesday, January 8, 2013

the first hills workout of the winter

1/8/12--Tuesday: the first hills workout of the winter with the crew in town.  There were apparently 77 of us!  I couldn't believe the turnout and at 5:45AM no less!  I held my own for the first few, staying with the tippy-top group.  I began to fade over the last few, however.  Overall, I was fairly pleased since I was still within 15-20 seconds of the 10 leaders by hill 8.  I completed the workout in 16:00.  Most of my uphills were in the 56-second range, while my "recoveries" were in the 1:13 range.   Uphill--.175M; downhill--.175M.  Thus, each loop is .35M.  Multiple .35M by 7 and you get 2.45M.  Add the 8th hill (uphill only to finish the workout) and you get 2.62M.  2.62M covered in 16:00, hills and all, is about 6:06/mile pace.  Time to run 15:45!

1/7/12--I was running late and only had time to do a short, 2.2M run in 16:45.

1/6/12--I went to the Y with my family to get in a recovery workout.  I began with a mile on the donut track--6:45.  Stretched for a few minutes, then dropped another mile, this time in 6:30.  I then went to work on my upper body, using the lat bar and fly for 5-6 minutes.  I then headed over to the treadmill for a mile, which I covered in 6:30.  I returned to lifting, this time attending to my legs a little.  I didn't want to do too much with my legs since I had competed the prior day.  SO I used the adduction and abduction machines.  Five to six minutes later I was back on the donut for a 6:10 mile.  I stretched for a moment and then went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment