Monday, January 28, 2013

I am concerned

Monday, 1/28/13--I took off today.  I am concerned that I have piriformis syndrome.  Everything I've read about what I am feeling in the upper hamstring and glute area leads me to this conclusion.  My butt is killing me!  As I write, I sit squarely (or "circularly") on a pair of blue Penn racquetballs.  They feel like they are going toe-to-toe, or cheek-to-cheek with the golf balls that have become the interior of my buns.  This is not good, folks.  Not good.  I have to see someone.

Sunday, 1/27/13--I competed at Glen Mills, deciding to make it a sprint day.  The day would be more of a workout rather than a day to post fast times.  I began with the 55m, thinking that it would be a good way to loosen me up.  In lane 6 like last week, I had decent start.  However, my top end speed ain't what it used to be.  I did hold off a youngster and cruised to a 7.49 FAT, slower than last week's 7.44 FAT.  At least the 7.49 felt better and was more relaxed than the 7.49.

Then there was the 400.  I was in lane 5 with no one on my outside.  I got out pretty well, but the youngster in lane 4 caught me 125 meters into the race, midway through the second turn.  As we cut in after the cones, I found myself in 3rd place, right on the tail of the guy in 2nd.  I hit the 200m in 26+, perhaps a little slower than my pace at the Armory in December--but that was to be expected given the poured rubber track surface.  I found myself losing ground over the second lap as I tightened up.  I managed only a 56.86, which puts my second lap about 30 seconds and my time 1.75 seconds slower than my season best.  Oh well.  The two ahead of me ran 54s.

I debated whether I would compete in the 200.  I initially said that if my lane assignment was either lane 3 or 4 and/or I had someone to my outside that I would compete.  Luck would have it that I was assigned lane 5 again and there was no one to my outside.  What's more, like the other two races, I was in the fastest heat and running against youngsters.  And the gun went off!  I got out pretty well and lifted my knees on the backstretch.  Going into the second turn I could feel two guys on my inside overtake me.  I tried to stay relaxed as they passed.  I posted 26.04 to their 25.50+ and 25.60+.  I was .70 off my season best of 25.34 thus far. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that injury sounds like a potential problem.
    Be careful Delvin !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern, bud. I have an appointment at 6AM to see a physical therapist, who, as an exceptional distance runner, specializes in running-related ailments.

      Delete