Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rob said he no longer likes me

Sunday, 5/13--I made breakfast in bed for my wife.  Tradition, tradition!  My son and I took her place doing the grocery shopping.  The plan for the top of the morning was to meet some of my club comrads--Rob, Chuck, Bruce et al.--for a workout at Great Valley HS.  I brought with me a printout of several workouts for the 400 and 800.  The guys wanted me to make the call, so I did.  On tap was Sit 'n Kick Reps: 5x (400m . . . rest 60-sec . . . 200m) with a 1200m jog  between sets.  The workout as designed for a 2:00 800m high school runner is as follows: 5x (400m @ 64 . . . rest 30-sec . . . 200m @ 28) jog 1200m btw sets.  Since none of us falls into that category, we modified the workout accordingly.  My runs on this 80-degree day, featuring a slight wind, were as follows:

64,29
64,29
64,29
63,30
62,29

I was pretty pleased, although I realized that our 1200m recoveries of between 9:15-10:00 were, on average, a minute longer than I normally take.  That's okay, though.  We had an awesome workout; it was great running together.  I enjoyed the camaraderie, even if Rob said he no longer likes me (on account of this kick-your-you-know-what workout).  I can't wait for the next time, which could be in two weeks.

Also, I am determined to get myself into 800 meter mode for next weekend.  Given this workout, I should be positioned to run well.


Saturday, 5/12--took my son to a college admissions workshop at Swarthmore, my alma mater.  Got back, went to the barber, mowed both yards, and then decided I didn't want to get in the 4.4-6.6M I had planned for the day, particularly since I knew I'd be doing a challenging workout on Sunday.

Friday, 5/11-Went to the Y for some lifting--4 upper body machines, 4 leg machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment