Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed

Wednesday, 5/2--modified Sit 'n Kick Reps.


The regular version is 5x (400m @ 64 . . . rest 60-sec . . . 200m @ 30) with a 1200m jog btw sets.  My 5:45 AM version, however, was 5x (300m @ 47 . . . rest 60-sec . . . 150m @ 21) with a 900m jog btw sets.  My runs were:

47,22
47,21
48,21
46,21
44,21


Tuesday, 5/1--drove to the Y for a 6AM brief lifting session.

Monday, 4/30--6AM run of 4.4M in just under 7:00 pace (30:44).

Sunday, 4/29--recovery run of 3.8M (about 29:00)

Saturday--Penn Relays--
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't run faster on account of my 53.71 at Widener last week. It was just a little frustrating, that's all. I'm almost over it :)!  More about this later. 

...OK--Update: The warm-up went pretty well.  Nothing remarkable.  Headed up to the paddock area after taking in a good stretch, perhaps not as good as the one for the 4x100 but nonetheless good.  As we made our way to the main paddock area I felt the chill in the air.  I was ok, though.  Once we got to the paddock area, I could feel the hype in the air.  I was ready to run.  When we were led to the track, I dashed out and got my knees nice and high to loosen up.  I was ready to run.  And so off the gun went.  Scott was out.  He held the sixth position, as I lined up to receive the baton.  I snatched the baton, just behind the fifth runner.  I blew by him within the first couple of strides.  I passed another runner at about the 100 meter mark.  I felt good.  I could see that I was in fourth and trying to close the gap, which I thought I was doing.  That is, until the last 100 meters, which seemed like 1,000.  I tried to lift but couldn't.  I was out of gas.  I didn't know how much gas I had leaked until I learned 10 minutes or so later that my split was 55.7!  55.7?!  OMG. WTH!  I was not a happy camper.  How could I run so slow after having run 53.71 a week before.  In a nutshell, this stunk.  I stunk for that matter.  Another disappointing Penn Relays.  And just to think--I wanted to run second leg as a way to use my speed to aggressively keep it close for us, thinking that I could run in the 52-/53-second range.  Boy was I wrong!  And wrong I don't like to be.  I was that day.  The joke was on me and my 55. 

But there's always next year, right?

4 comments:

  1. It took me four attempts at Penn to run the "ideal"400m,cruise the opening 200m then kick the final turn for home,you have time on your side to get it right,maybe running a race so close to Penn wasn't the way to go?something to think about for next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Perhaps I should not have run the week before. It sure as hell felt good, though, to pop that 53.71!

      Delete
  2. For me one of the more interesting parts of this sport is putting all the pieces together to achieve your perfect race. There are so many facets to take into account and hitting them all at 100% is hard. But the key is keeping the drive alive to try. You surely have the drive Delvin, so it’s just a matter of time until you nail it perfectly. And then, how sweet will that be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment! Thanks for the encouragement. Who is this, by the way? Bruce?

      Delete