Saturday, May 5, 2012

Put a little pep in your step

Friday, 5/4--

Went to the track just before 6AM for a brief, put-a-little-pep-in-your-step workout.  As I did my warm up, I lost motivation and confidence and started walking...and on the first lap, no less.  I gathered myself and said, "Your legs are tired and you're tired but you need to do this."  I then started continued with my warm up.  After my customary mile (of ins and outs now), I stretched.  That same crisis of confidence overcame me.  I felt might tight.  I spend extra time stretching and then decided that I needed to move on, even though my legs were feeling fatigued.  By this time, however, so much time had passed that I had only enough minutes to squeeze in 4x150 rather than 6.  My initial plan was to do 2@21 seconds, 2@20, and 2@19. I then figured that I'd start at 21 and just work my way down.

My runs were:

21-high (sluggish for sure)
21-low (better and more relaxed)
20-mid (felt more like a pick-up, an acceleration)
19-mid (was able to get my knees up and accelerate through the finish).

The next time I do 4 150s, I'd like to be able to do 21, 20, 19, 18.  Better yet, double the trouble with a cool 8x150s!  My legs, however, need to be fresh, and ideally the workout would be attempted later in the day, not at 6AM.  The only time this is possible for me is during the weekend. 

Sometimes we all just need to put a little pet in our step(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment