Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I am looking to break

Wed--lifted at the Y; trying to get back to some legwork. 

Tues--Henderson.  The workout was a mile, 800, 400, 800, mile (faster than the first).  I was tight and sore and didn't feel up to running the full workout, despite the fact that the night before I was really looking forward to it.  So...I decided to do 800,400,800,800.  I didn't time the first 800 or 400.  I suspect they were fairly pedestrian.  I ran the last two 800s in 2:40 and 2:32.

Mon--4.4M in 32:40.

Sun--I scheduled myself to compete in the 100 and 800.  After warming up and stretching, I wasn't 100% pleased that I was ready to run fast; I sure was tight.  However, after setting my blocks, practicing a couple of starts and doing some visualization exercises, I was okay.  I practiced keeping my head down in what is really supposed to be the drive phase of the 100m--not that I have much "drive" in me nowadays.  Anyway, I found myself in lane 4 of the 2nd heat; the first heat was for the open runners.  It was my turn.  I settled nicely into my blocks (the tip of the starting block was 1 shoe length from the line; left pad was 2 shoe lengths; right pad 1.5 shoe lengths).  When the gun went off, I really kept my head down and gradually lifted my head.  By this time, I was 30 meters into the race and well into the lead.  I got my knees up but felt like I was striding.  I ran 12.30, winning by .5 seconds.  I think my next race will see 11.99! 

I began the race plan for the 800. I checked out the competitors and noticed that there were no sub-2:10 guys.  And Chuck was using the meet as a workout and said he had planned to run the 800 in the 2:25-range, given he had already run the 3000 and mile.  So, after thinking about it, I decided to swap the 200m for the 800.  I was in heat 2, lane 4 again.  My game plan was the same as it was for the 100m: drive out of the blocks; don't pop up; get those knees up.  My start was not quite as strong as that for the 100m but otherwise reasonably good.  I passed two guys on the curve as I was being passed by a youngster from Drexel on the inside.  At the top of the straightaway I found myself in second.  Just as I thought I was pulling away, with 50m to go I felt the two guys from TNT on my outside begin to challenge me.  With 10m to go they had pulled near-even with me. I didn't really panic, though. As we approached the finish line, I leaned.  A photo finish would decide 2nd through 4th places.  I got second (24.45), Junior Hyman (age 40) third (24.46) and the other TNT guy (age 34) whose name I cannot remember placed 4th (24.52).  The fourth place finisher was livid, thinking he had beaten his teammate and me.  He was sure there was an error and stormed away after seeing the places and time.  I think he believed he had won because once we crossed the line he looked across and saw that he was in the lead.  However, that was once we crossed the line, not AS we crossed the line. 

Perhaps he'll get us next time.  He should; his 100m time was 11.78 or something.  That's okay, though, because I am looking to break 12s in the 100 and 24s in the 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment