Monday, July 26, 2010

I think I could have run faster

Today, I did a recovery run: 6.6, or 3 Rustin loops.

loop 1--17:30 (about 8:00 pace)
loop 2--34:00 (16:30, or 7:30 pace)
loop 3--48:55 (15:25, or 7:00 pace)

The run felt good. I hadn't really planned to run as hard, not that it's THAT hard. I had planned to run 8:30 pace to start, then 8:00 for the first loop, then 7:30 for the third loop. I felt pretty good from the beginning on this 69 degree morning, so I just went with it.

Yesterday, my family and I made the trek to York, PA for the Keystone Games for the masters day of T & F competition. I ran the open 800. Overall, I was disappointed with the turnout. The meet was empty, to say the least. I thought there was a time when the Keystone Games were relatively popular, but perhaps they have fallen out of favor...at least the track portion. I cannot speak to the other sponsored sports. The youth race days were fuller but not anything to write home about.

I had a good warm up on this balmy, 93 degree day. After a mile or so, I found shade and stretched pretty well. The meet was running about 40 minutes ahead of schedule on account of there being so few athletes. There was basically a short break after each event! In looking at the competition, I figured my 800 would be a time trial at best. I relaxed at the starting line and told myself to try to run an even race, which is what I did. I took the lead from the get-go. My son called 31-32 at the 200. I just tried to keep that pace and to run smooth...without pressing. At the 600 mark, I heard 1:38, 1:39. Based on how I felt, I think I hit the 400 in 65. I finished at 2:12, really lifting my knees and relaxing during the first 90 meters of the last 100. The last 10 meters, I sort of trailed off. My splits were 31-high, 33-low, 33-mid, 33-high. It was hardly my fastest, but it did feel good. I would consider it an even, pedestrian race, if you can call it a race: I believe I won by 14 seconds. Again, I'd like to think about it as a time trial. If there was a 2:12 runner in the race, I think I could have sipped below 2:10. If there was a 2:00, I think I could have run 2 seconds faster per 200.

Once I finished, I immediately had a brief conversation with the second finished and then I jogged a mile (about 5 laps) on the infield. I knew I felt pretty good because it is unusual for me to finish an 800 and virtually break into a mile jog, especially in 90+ degree heat and humidity. Total for the day: 2.7

No comments:

Post a Comment