Wednesday, August 5, 2009

He returns...or does he?

Yesterday I made my way to Henderson's track at 5:45 AM to meet the distance crew I have been running with. By the time I got there, just about everyone was stretching and getting ready for the 3x1600 w/ 200 jog-recovery workout. Upon my arrival someone shouted out "He returns!" to which I replied "He rises from the dead!" even if no one heard me.

I warmed up a mile as they began their first 1600m repeat. There looked to be about 25 or so people, strung out within various groups/levels. As I stretched, I timed the first group and saw that Kevin ran the first mile in 5:47 and the remainder of the top group hit between 6:02 and 6:04. The other groups had various times, ranging up into the 7-, and 8-minute marks. I continued stretching, figuring that I would hop into the first group the next time they came in my direction. I stepped in with 1000m to go. The pace was stronger; the mile was just under 6:00. My 1000m was 3:40. I jogged the 200 with them and then began what was for them the last mile. Someone (can't remember the woman's name) said she wanted to pick up and pace hoped no one would mind. I remember hitting 2:52 at the 800 meter mark. I wound up stopping to stretch my Achilles at about the 950m mark at 3:19. In all honesty, I was also winded! I saw them finish the mile, and then I finished mine in 5:38. I cooled down a mile and thought about days past when I was able to do 3x1600. It was never an easy workout, but I was able to do it with respectfully. I also realized that my pride got in the way during this workout. What I should have done was hopped in with a group running an easier (think slower) pace so that I could have completed the entire last mile without stopping. How foolish was I!

I actually considered running the 5K series at Westtown School last evening, but then realized that I would be asking my body to do too much too soon. Instead I watched my son run his best time on the course on a humid evening. I was proud and hope that he realizes that with even better conditioning he could do well when he officially begins high school XC later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment