Monday, June 18, 2018

Mid-Atlantic Championship Meet: This meet was for the birds.

Monday, 6/18/18-took off. Had a massage this afternoon at Hand and Stone. Cool!

Sunday, 6/17/18-recovery run on the "alternative" side of the trail...16:30 down (2.07M), 15:45 back (2.07M)...33:15

Saturday, 6/16/18-Mid-Atlantic Championship Meet. I arrived at Widener University at 12:25; I thought I was late. Given the fact the the meet was a combined one for youth, open, and masters, I wound up being quite early, even if the start time was 10:00. At any rate, not really knowing how slowly the meet was moving, I warmed up and was ready to race by about 1:30. The 400 didn't go off until about 3:00. I was in the masters heat...heat 4, lane 4. John was to my right in lane 5. My race plan was to run the first 50 meters hard as I had done in practice and then float on the backstretch.  I relaxed my arm carry on the backstretch to conserve energy. At precisely the 200 mark (I heard Anthony say 26...), I began to push some. Coming off the turn, I had pulled even with John.  We moved stride-for-stride on the homestretch, John trying not to give much. I could feel myself struggling some, but I knew I was good with about 30 meters to go. 55.54...55.70. The times were not at all what we had hoped for. My goal was not to beat John; it was to beat 54.00. I was disappointed, as was John. We didn't go out hard enough, and we weren't strong enough over the second 200.

And then there was the 100. I waited until 4:45 for this race, which didn't go well at all. The highlight of the race was seeing newcomer Dan Eposito run well...and well ahead of me. His time, 12.10, matched my masters best! My time of 12.59, run from lane 6, is perhaps a masters worst. Was it the false start charged to two of the six in the field? The tired legs from the 400? No. It was because I wasn't fast on this day! At least I got a chance to chat with my former sprinter Dante Coles, there watching his young daughter compete for Hershey Blaze.

Since the meet was dragging, I decided to head out. This meet was for the birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment