Friday, November 24, 2017

Bye, bye, 5K season. It's time to transition to indoor track.



Fri, 11/24-Ran 2M on Amwell Rd and headed to the Somerset County YMCA for a little lifting.  Bye, bye, 5K season.  It's time to transition to indoor track.

Thurs, 11/23-Somerville Turkey Trot. I arrived a bit after 8:00 AM on this 30-degree morning.  After getting my bib number, I jogged the course, at least most of it (2.3/2.4M).  I then stretched a bit, but not too much.  Icy Hot was helpful, as were my long tights, gloves, and hat.  The race went off promptly, 600+ of us in tow.  I tried not to go out like gangbusters, especially since the first third of the first mile was uphill.  I didn't want to blow out my legs!  A half-mile in, I found myself among the top 10 runners.  I stayed with two other guys over miles 1 and 2.  We traded positions once or twice, reaching the mile mark at 5:35/5:40.  With a mile to go, I tried not to wane.  In fact, I took a slight hill pretty aggressively to gap a runner right off my shoulder.  It was then that I decided two other runners were within reach.  "Do I wait, or do I have enough in the tank to take them now with 800 meters to go?" was what I wondered.  I pushed past one and then the other.  Making a left onto Main Street, I saw there was another runner in view.  I closed the gap between us from 100 meters to probably 75, as we bent towards the finish on Veterans Memorial Drive.  I covered the 3.15M course in 18:29 (5:48 pace) for seventh place overall, first in my age group.  The winning time of 16:51 was impressive, as was a close second in 16:53.

I passed the 5K mark in sub-18!




https://somerville5kturkeytrot.shutterfly.com/237
https://somerville5kturkeytrot.shutterfly.com/237#236

Wed, 11/22-off

Tues, 11/21-30 min run, easy.

Mon, 11/20-took off

Sun, 11/19-Went to the canal and ran 45:15 over 6.4M (24:00/21:15).  The pace out was 7:30; the pace back was 6:38.

No comments:

Post a Comment