Sunday, April 16, 2017

Boyah! How 'bout them apples?

Sun, 4/16-

Despite working out yesterday morning and then immediately driving 440 miles from Oberlin, I joined my teammates today for a workout.  Yup.  I responded to the call, which I initially botched.  I showed up at just before 8AM at our usual spot, Radnor High School.  After jogging a mile, I began to wonder why none of the guys had arrived.  I was by my lonesome.  I checked my email and realized that the venue had been changed to Germantown Academy.  I emailed them to say I wouldn't be able to make it, especially given my goal of returning home by 10:15.  After a minute or two, I decided to head to GA, which is only 20 minutes from Radnor.  I figured I'd get there by about 8:30 and leave at about 9:30, just enough time.

I arrived to find Bruce, John, Rob, and Chuck Shields.  After greetings, I began stretching, trying to hold fast to the warmth of my mile warmup plus Icy Hot treatment.  Within two minutes of arriving, I learned that on tap was a 400 meter time trial.  Surprise!  In fact, I had already been assigned a lane: 2.  Rob would take lane 1, John would use lane 3, and Bruce lane 4.

Our warmup continued for quite some time.  The time trial would be run at 9:00, with Chuck timing.  And we were off!  From the start of the run, I could feel my hip over working.  I wondered whether I'd be okay.  I kept listening to my body as John and I matched stagger; we were hitting the same pace.  I tried to move coming into the homestretch, but John held form.  He finished a stride ahead of me.  I hit my watch...55.9 (55.82).  I suspect John ran 55.7.  Chuck said something about 56.16....NOT!

Rob clocked himself in 57.25.  I'm not sure of my buddy Bruce's time.

After 11-12 minutes' rest, Rob then invited the crew to run a few easy 200s.  He said 33 seconds would do.  Fifty meters into the first one, I felt my hip and groin, so I stopped at the 75-meter mark.  I'd join them on the remaining three: 32-mid, 31-high, 31-low.

I left at 9:37 and got home at 10:13!  Boyah!  How 'bout them apples?

No comments:

Post a Comment