Saturday, December 31, 2016

Wardrobe Malfunction

Dec 31, 2016

Went to the Y for a post-race easy workout.

I did

  • .75M on the donut track at 6:50 pace 
  • stretch, lifting-legs...4:00
  • .75M on the treadmill at 6:55 pace
  • lifting-legs and arms...4:00
  • .75 on the donut track at 6:45 pace
  • stretch, lifting-legs...4:00
  • .75 on the donut at 6:40 pace
  • lifting-arms and stretch...4:00
  • .75 on the donut track at 6:35 pace

Dec 30th, 2016---Sprint Night at the Armory--NYC...Third competition of the season

I met up with Rob and Andrew at the Marriot Courtyard in Willow Grove at about 3:00 before departing for NYC at close to 3:05.   We arrived at the parking lot at about 5:15 for the 6:00 PM meet, which, seeming sparsely attended, didn't start until after 6:30.  I was thankful I was able to warm up on the track and not in the second floor corridor.  I did .75 and stretched for a bit.  After a while of sitting and chatting, I checked in for the 400.  I then put on my spikes and ran a few turns.  Our first event, the 400, was called at about 6:45.  It was check-in time.  I continued stretching as we all stood in line waiting for heat assignments.  Rather than lane 6,I was assigned LANE 1 in heat 8 of 13 or 14.  I was hoping for lane 4. 

When the gun went off, I knew something was wrong by the 50-meter mark.  My damn New Balance right spike began to act up.  My foot was swimming about and my heel was nearly exposed.  I was a hot mess.  I tried to run so that my foot would sink back in, but I was unsuccessful .  Reaching the 200 in a pedestrian 26-high, I knew I wasn't running at full steam.  But, I was still in the hunt.  I heard Andrew Hogue, who had run 54xx the previous race, egging me on.  With a little about 150 meters to go, I began closing down on John and the guy in front of him.  Then, it happened.  Going into the final turn, my heel became 100% exposed and there was no turning back once I hit the homestretch: I slowed up significantly as I knew my shoe was about to set sail.  It did.  My shoe flew off my foot and landed a few meters in front of me.  I slowed to a near stop, grabbed my shoe, and finished the race, as was my duty.  I wound up running 59xx, a time reserved for practice.  This epic fail compares unfavorably to last year's 55.08.  What a mess!  Wardrobe malfunction.  Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake: how do you like me now?

I laughed my way to getting ready for the 200.  I was assigned lane 4 in heat 12 out of about 14 or 15.  Last year, was assigned lane 6 (again) in heat 15 of 19.    After hemming and hawing, I decided it best to wear my old spikes.  I got out of the blocks pretty well, caching Ross at about the 50-meter mark.  At the 100 mark, I felt good.  Coming into the homestretch, I realized the youngsters on my inside we on me.  I just tried to get on my toes.  With 30 meters to go, I  saw the clock and realized I could break the 25-second barrier.  Instead, I outran one of the younger guys, while the other outlined me. I posted 25.23 compared to last year's 25.01. The younger guy ran 25.05.  Quite honestly, he did not look to be almost .20 ahead of me.  Oh well.

One of the highlights of the night was seeing my Nick Damages run 57.91 in the 400m while waving to his mom at the 300-meter mark. 

I hope Rob feel better; he caught a mean one in his calf.  Argh.  Many thanks to Rob for driving and playing host...with the most!

In other news, it was awesome to hang out with Andrew, Rob, John C.,  and other teammates. What great guys!  I hope we continue to make strides towards a great Millrose and Penn Relays showing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment