Wednesday, March 30, 2016

So now I'm nursing a (slight) hamstring pull. Dammit!

Wednesday, 3/30-in Miami; took off; hamstring issues.

Tuesday, 3/29-arrived at WC Henderson HS at 5:35 for a workout with the "Tuesday Crew," referred toby my wife  pejoratively as "the crazies."   The workout of 800 (8 for advanced; 6 for moderate; 4 for beginners...with a 400 jog) would have been acceptable, but not on this day.  I warmed up well, taking extra time to see that I was okay.  I did an 800 in a pedestrian 3:00, but I didn't feel well.  I started a second 800, but my leg started to hurt.

Monday, 3/28/16-Went to the Y with my wife.  I did mile/stretch/lift/mile/lift/stretch.

Sunday, 3/27-took off; post-meet recovery

Saturday, 3/26-Front Runners' Meet in NYC at The Armory.
Met Duncan and Chuck K. at Barnes & Noble.  Drive up together.
Arrived well ahead of the 5:00 start.
Check in and confirmed my events--400 and 200.
Decided to do the 60m after settling in for a while and realizing there was no need to wait until the 400 to run.  I could use the 60 as warmup.  Besides, there was no extra charge for an extra event.
Did an 8:00 mile and stretched well.
Eventually did strides and starts.
By the time the 4x200 and 1500 finished (there was one heat for women and four for men), it was 6:00.
With a seed time of 7.79, I was in heat 6 (of 7 or 8), lane 5.
After two false starts and a starter pistol malfunction, we were off.
I got out okay, all considering, and won my heat in 7.86.  It felt good...after two years' hiatus from the 60.

A while later, it was time for the 400.
With a seed time of 53.71, I was in heat 4, lane 6.  Why do I always get assigned lane 6 when I am at The Armory.  ARGH!
At any rate, I was dealt a blow mentally and race strategy-wise.
I was again too lax at the start.
I had a stronger than before second lap, which accounted for my second place finish in 54.14, rounded up to 54.15, nearly a second faster than what I ran back in December and close to my split at Millrose last month.  I was in search of 53xx.
My splits were 25.4x and 28.6x.

The 200 came up within 40-45 minutes.
This time lane 5 would be my assignment, with the fastest in our heat (9 of 17) in lane 6.  I felt okay, though my pop was missing.  My 24.82 was okay.

Last but not least was the "recreational" 4x400, on which I ran anchor.  I got the baton well out of contention and planned to run an even 56/57, given how tired I was.  Not 50 meters into my run, my hamstring tightened and then tugged at me.  I ran the first 200 in about 30, and the second in 33, for a 63.

So now I'm nursing a (slight) hamstring pull.  Dammit!


2 comments:

  1. Careful, don't make the same mistakes I made! Wanting to train again too soon I kept tearing my muscle a little bit each time I came back too early. I know it sucks! Nobody wants to loose there hard earned fitness, but sometimes its faster if you just wait for the body to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! You'll be happy to know that I rested today. Thanks for your advice and concern, my tender-footed friend.

      Delete