Monday, January 11, 2016

We're on our way!

Mon, 1/11/16-On this cold and windy day, I did a recovery run at 6AM in the dark (I need batteries for my headlamp.).  I covered the customary 4.3/4.4M run (2 Rustin-plus loops) in 34:30.  Loop 1 was 17:50 and loop 2 was 16:40.   This amounted to about 8:00/mile pace, just what the legs ordered.

Sun, 1/10/16-On this rainy, mile day, I headed to the USATF NEW JERSEY OPEN & MASTERS INDOOR TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS in Toms River, NJ.  I had never been before, and while I did not perform at my best, the trip was worth it.

I arrived at the John Bennett Indoor Athletic Complex (aka "The Bubble") at 12:30 for my 1:50 race.  My initial thought was to begin my warm-up at 1:00.  However, I realized shortly after I arrived that the meet could easily run ahead or behind, so I decided to begin warm-up up at about 12:45.  I ran around the should of the track and stretched among equipment in the far corner of the arena.  This was adequate and preferable.  

I checked in for the 800, my first of the year, at about 1:15 and then did a few strides.  I'd eventually remove my spikes and jog some more.  After initially placing me in heat 2 lane 5, I learned that I was heat 1, lane 5.  There were about 10 men in our heat.  

Mark Williams, who arrived late to the line and had to put on his shirt, pin his race number, and affix his lane sticker, was to my immediate right, in lane 6.  Inspired by my recollection of the 600 meter race we did at The Armory this time two years ago, my plan was to go out with him and stay within a second of him on the first lap, within two seconds of him on the second lap, within three seconds on the third lap, and within four seconds of him at the finish.  Some seemingly good plans must come to an end!  

The gun went off, and Mark blasted from the line.  He hit the 200 in 28 (his Facebook report generously reports 26).  I hit 30.  "There was no way I could compete with this," I thought.  I found myself in third behind a guy who appeared to be a teenager.  I reached the 400 in 62+.  I imagine that Mark crossed in 57/58 (his Facebook report kindly reports 55).  I felt good at the 400, and I believed I had what was required to maintain pace to end up at about 2:06.  (By this point, Mark was well ahead, reporting on FB that he crossed the 600 mark in 1:25; I'd give him 1:28/29.)  I pushed the third lap.  I felt myself gaining on the youngster ahead of me; he was actually slowing down.  Reaching the 600 mark in 1:34+, I tried to pass the teen on the outside right before the turn.  No luck.  Instead he found another gear and left me in the dusk.  I struggled over the last lap, covering it in 34 or 35 seconds.  Seeing 2:08 on the clock as I crossed the "dual finish line," my official time was 2:09.40.  While I wasn't thrilled, I wasn't devastated either.  I came away knowing what I have to work on.  Also, as it turns out, not counting my 2:02 split when we were chasing the world record at The Armory a few years back (2009), this was my second best season opener in the 800.  The best was January 5, 2013 at the University of Delaware where I dropped 2:07.

I felt good heading into my 200, which was scheduled for 4:00 but went off two hours later at about 3:30.  I started warming up just 15 or 20 minutes before the race.  I did a couple of starts and hard 25 meter dashes. We were not permitted to use starting blocks.  I was in heat 2, lane 4.  There were just three of us in my heat, maybe four.  Someone was in lanes 2 and 6 for sure.  I got out okay, and caught the guy on the stagger within the first 60 meters.  I tried to get my knees up and avoid too much of a back kick on the backstretch, thinking about a video clip I had recently seen.  I felt my feet sliding inside my spikes as I entered and made my way through the far turn.  I loosened my hand and drove up the homestretch.  Seeing 24 as I crossed the finish line(s), I was sure I had challenged the 25-second barrier.  Thus, I was bummed when I saw that I had run 25.52.  Yuck!  

I was happy for Bruce, who had a fine 400 and a powerful 200. His times were marginally better than what he posted at The Armory.  Moreover, he looked and felt better.  Leading the entire race, he made short work of crossing the 200 mark in 27-low.  Phil L. stayed within striking distance, but Bruce would prevail in 58-low.  Bruce's 200 was a brilliant 26.31(?).  Something tells me he could challenge the 26-second barrier.  

I headed for home at 4:00.

We're on our way!




3 comments:

  1. The bubble is not my favorite track but I still had a blast! Thanks for all your coaching! It really helps! If anything these races will add to our fitness and help us reach ours goals. I agree I think we're on our way. We just have to keep plugging away and it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, keep the effort (and the health and attitude) up and the times will drop.

      Delete
  2. The bubble is not my favorite track but I still had a blast! Thanks for all your coaching! It really helps! If anything these races will add to our fitness and help us reach ours goals. I agree I think we're on our way. We just have to keep plugging away and it will happen.

    ReplyDelete