Saturday, December 5, 2015

where I need to be and what I need to do

The following is a cut-and-paste of Peter Brady's December 3, 2015 Facebook posting.  I post it here because the workouts he mentioned (bolded) is a reminder of where I need to be and what I need to do.  Peter is an 800-meter/mile extraordinaire.

I'm always ambivalent about posting workouts or even race results because I generally think nobody gives a damn and I definitely don't want to come
across as self-obsessed or as though I'm trying to brag about my workouts.
At the same time, I'm always interested in reading about other runners'
training and racing either on Facebook or elsewhere, particularly some of my fellow masters competitors so it only seems fair that I return the favor by posting some of my recent runs.


So here is a quick recap of my fall races and most recent track workouts:

10/31: Raced the NYRR Dash to the Finish 5K in 16:25, second in my age group. A bit disappointed in the time and place, especially since I broke 16 in this race 2 years ago, but I just didn't have that great a day.

11/8: USATF NY 10K XC Championship: 34:35-7th overall and won my age group. Very happy with this result, especially since it was a somewhat hilly course with a mix of pavement, grass and dirt and 10K XC is way outside my comfort zone.

11/15: NYRR Fred Lebow 5K XC at Van Cortlandt Park: 17:23-2nd in age group. Awful race. Van Cortlandt is definitely in my head- I can't seem to run well on that course!

Last 3 track workouts, including this morning: 

1) 8 x 200 w/ 200 jog recovery average time 28-low; 
2) 2 x 800 @5K goal pace with 90 seconds rest +3 x 800@ 3K pace with 2 minutes (2:29,2:26,2:20,2:20,2:17); and 
3) 3 sets of 2 x 400 with 90 seconds between reps and 3 minutes between sets all right around 63-flat.

It's a long season ahead but I'm happy to be healthy and starting to get in some decent training.


Thursday, 12/3-Met up with the crew at the West Chester Country Club at 5:40 AM for the in-town distance run/workout.  On account of Brian's run this Sunday, the plan was to do a 1.5M tempo beginning about 1.5M into the 7.9M stretch.  We reached the mark in 10:30. Five minutes into the tempo, I knew I wasn't "feeling it;" I wasn't into it.  I kept going, though, staying with John Lavin and within twenty meters of Kevin, Ed, Manion, and someone else.  Lavin and I reached the mile mark in 6:01.  We finished in 9:02, about thirty meters behind Manion et al.; Kevin Kelly had turned off the route about a mile in.  I took a breather and jogged slowly, thinking about the week's events.  I found myself flaccid and unmotivated to do my usual route.  I turned off and headed back to my car, completing only five miles.

Wednesday, 12/2--5:45 AM workout at the Y.  Did 5 sets of (.75M in 5:00 and 4:00 of combination of lifting, legs and upper body).  I alternated between the donut track and treadmill.   Not in good spirits.

Tuesday, 12/1--took off. Not rested.  Family crisis Monday afternoon.  Did not go to Tampa as a result.  Not in good spirits.

Monday, 11/30-took off, thinking that I would work out at WC Henderson tomorrow at 5:50 AM, my last workout in PA before departing Tuesday afternoon for Tampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment