Sunday, December 27, 2015

Another Almost...First competition of the season

December 26--Sprint Night at the Armory--NYC...First competition of the season

I met up with Craig, Daryl and Wayne  at Craig's house at about 2:15, before departing for NYC at close to 2:30.   We arrived at the parking lot at about 4:15 for the 6:00 PM meet, which, lo and behold, was running on time.  I was thankful I was able to warm up on the track and not in the second floor corridor.  The meet would begin with the 60 hurdles and the 60 dash, so we had quite a bit of time on our hands.  I did a couple of laps.  I then hung out solo for a bit, almost falling asleep with my face in my hands.  After a while, I got up and did .75M at 8:00 mile pace.  I then began my stretching routine.  I did 50 knee-drives, 6 sets of 30 seconds of right-over-lefts, and leg stretches on the higher railings surrounding the track.  I then put on my spikes, did a few starts with blocks on the straightaway (as the 60 was being contested), and ran a few turns.  Our first event, the 400, was called at about 6:45.  It was check-in time.  I continued stretching as we all stood in line waiting for heat assignments.  For yet another year I was assigned LANE 6 in heat 6 of 9.  I was bummed.  Dammit!  Why lane 6?   I was envious of John Curtis' lane 4 assignment.

When the gun went off, I was tentative, stumbling some as I moved down and then up the bank.  By the 100m mark I could sense that the guy in lane 5 would pass me soon.  He did.  I found myself in third place at the break.  A more aggressive straightway by the runner in lane 3 put me in fourth at the 200.   I also didn't want to over-exert myself for position.   Unfortunately, I found myself slightly out of position, and I was a little surprised to see the guy stop at the 300 meter mark, compromising my momentum a bit.  I was within 7-8 meters of John.  I cut the distance in half on the homestretch.   There was a huge electronic clock display on the parallel to, but midway down, the homestretch.  I could see it on my left.   I watched as the clock reached 49, 50, 51,….  I could see it no more.


Did I do it?  Did I?  I waited and no….I saw 55.05 F.A.T.  Nope 55.08.  Argh.  A little better than the times in 2012 (55.11) and 2013 (55.18).  I thought I had a chance to break 55 seconds, but the tactical error cost me.   Craig mentioned that I reached the 300 meter mark in 38 or 39 seconds.  I'd wager 40 seconds.  The last 100 was probably about 15, not a 16 or 17.  (25-high/29-low).  The winner of the heat ran 51 and change.

2015 Armory Sprint Night 400 meters

I felt okay afterwards and was able to walk well. I prepared myself for the 200.  I tried to stay loose . I was assigned lane 6 (again) in heat 15 of 19.    I made a conscious decision to go after the 25-second barrier.  I stumbled on the turn a little bit, stepping onto the line.  


At the 100 mark, I felt good.  Coming into the homestretch, I realized I was in the lead.  I just tried to get on my toes.  With 10 meters to go, I heard someone tell me to lean.  But it was too late.  The 35-year old in lane 2 nipped me at the line, although my name was initially called as the winner in 24.90-something.  Nope.  25.01 was the official time, with the other guy posting 24.93.  Quite honestly, he did not look to be almost a .10 in front of me.  

200 meters 2015 Armory Sprint Night

A little more umph and I could have broken the 25-second barrier.   Another almost!  Encouraging. I did think that I could run faster given my pre-race workout on Thursday.  Maybe I hand;t warmed up quite enough.  Maybe I will stop doing my workouts on a fly start, as perhaps they gave me a false sense of where I am.

One of the highlights of the night was seeing my buddy Bruce run 26.35 in the 200m.  He looked tough and strong.  Although he was disappointed with his 400 meter time of 58.58, he put in a gutsy effort, reaching the 300 meter mark in just under 42 seconds.  A 16-high or 17-low last 100 meter cost him the 57. (27/31)

In other news, it was awesome to have nice turnout of teammates.  To see Craig and Nick D. competing again was fantastic.  I hope they continue to make strides towards a Millrose and Penn Relays showing!


Friday, December 25--Merry Christmas!  Took the day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment