Thursday, November 26, 2015

Trotting like a Turkey: 29th out of 2369

Thursday, 11/26--
First, Happy Anniversary to my beautiful wife.  Twenty-one years and counting...

I left at 6:40 AM and drove to Downingtown West HS, stopping to get money along the way.  My car read 31 degrees.  Parked in the high school parking lot at about 7:05 or so.  I got a great space.  Registered for the race so very easily!  Walked/jogged to stadium.  According to the announcer, about 3000 people registered for the Turkey Trot.   (As it turned out, about 2400 would compete.)  I happened upon John Lavin, like I did three years ago when I ran this race.   Warmed up on track and surrounding area.  Stretched a bit in restroom, where it was warmer.  Sat in car for a few minutes.  Got to the starting line, which was in front of the STEM Academy.  I made my way up to the front of the HUGE crowd.  Lining up at the starting area was easy this year.  Gun went off at 8:01, and I got out pretty well.   Like three years ago, I found myself in the company of Rachel McGinnis.  I could see John Lavin and John Manion about 15-20 meters ahead.  I figured I'd hang onto her and keep Manion and Lavin in sight.  I reached the mile mark in 5:40, two seconds behind Rachel and about 7-8 seconds behind Manion and Lavin.   I was on my way.  I tried to stay relaxed and to maintain my rhythm.  I realized that I was on pace to run about 17:30, that is, until I started losing my confidence.  I checked my watch saw that I was 10:25 into the race and with about seven minutes to go. By mile 2, I realized I had let the crew I was following get too far ahead me--10 seconds.   I tried to maintain but felt myself falling off the pace.  With about 1K to go I started pushing myself to pick off a few runners ahead of me.  I managed to get 3-4 of them.  With about 500 meters to go, I began to wane.  I was not digging in. I was trotting like  turkey!   With about 300 meters left, I saw that my watch was inching towards 17:00.  With 100 meters remaining, I was passed by the three of four or five runners I had passed.  I was miffed.  I finished in a pedestrian 17:55.  After a 5:40 first mile, I'd wager a guess that I ran 5:45 for the second mile and 5:55 for the third mile. I  think I could have run a bit faster and most certainly wish I could've broken 17:30.  I wasn't dead afterwards, though.  40th place/2369.  I left not quite 10 minutes after I had finished.  I had to head home to be picked up at 9:00 or so for a football game in Havertown.  I could have stayed in Downingtown longer and enjoyed the festive atmosphere, as my ride to the football game did not arrive to my house until well after I had arrived, 9:30.  The game was fun as usual, and I had a few good catches.  I'm so sore, though, now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment