Sunday, September 21, 2014

I got my wish!

Sun, 9/21-


800s over rolling hills.  The last time I did this workout I said I wish I had someone to run with me.  I got my wish!

Justin and I met up at my house at 8:30AM to do 8x800 at my 5K goal pace of 17:15.  This means my 800s had to be in about 2:45.  The rest was supposed to equal the running time, but we took 3:00 instead.   Anyway, as was the case a few weeks ago when I did this workout, we used the XC course across the street from my house, with its rolling hills, to give my feet and knees a break from the pounding on track and street surfaces.  

It was cool enough (about 63 degrees), but rather humid.   

The 800m distance that I ran was from the telephone pole at Plumly and Shiloh Roads to the very top/end of the stretch of corn fields that lead to the paved path.  I'd run from one end to the next, take my rest period, and run from that end back.  My first 800 was from 
the telephone pole at Plumly and Shiloh to the end of the corn field.

My runs were: 2:47, 2:45, 2:39, 2:39, 2:33, 2:35, 2:34, 2:29.  This series compares very favorably to what I did two weeks ago and two years ago.  The first three runs were about the same.  However, I averaged about 8.5 seconds faster per repeat over the last five!  Quite honestly, I could have gone a bit faster on the first two.  Today, I was probably capable of running 2:40 for the first four and then 2:35 or better for the final four.  

UPDATE: Bad news.  I remeasured the 800m section.  I was too generous in accounting for the hills.  Turns out the actual distance is more like 750 meters.  Accounting for the rolling hill, I'd say the effort is more like 775 meters.   Need to add 5 seconds to my times.  Bummer.


Sat, 9/20--ran about 7.8M in 59:50.  I did the 5.7M loop and then did a Rustin-plus loop.  Would have done the full 11.4M, but I was running late.

No comments:

Post a Comment