Sunday, October 6, 2013

Michele's Miles

Sunday, 10/6-

Today, I participated in my first Michele's Miles, an event that celebrates the life and legacy of Michelle Deasey, "a talented and dedicated Episcopal Academy 3rd grader who unexpectedly passed away in late 2007. Michelle embodied the qualities and attributes valued by The Episcopal Academy community. Her infectious spirit, sportsmanship, grace and courage continue to inspire all who knew her."

Bria and I got there rather early (8:00)--in time enough to secure a great parking space at the tennis courts.   I socialized and warmed up here and there.  As it turned out, the 5K began at about 9:25 and after the 100m, 400m and mile runs.  What great events!

When the 5K was called, I broke from a conversation and made my way to the starting line.  I got out well.  I found myself running among several speedy lower school and middle school youngsters.  As we neared the half-mile mark, I settled into a groove.  By the time we hit the mile mark, four of us were leading the pack.  As one of the Quinlan brothers backed off, I found myself in 3rd place, where I'd stay for the balance of the race.  With a bout a mile to go, I took back some of the lead the second place guy had developed.  While my time wasn't blazing, I finished pretty strong.  My 18:21 felt relatively easy.  I wanted to break 18:00, but I settled into the race too much and let the top two guys get away.

I have to work hard over the next 10 days in preparation for the Deer Path event.



No comments:

Post a Comment