Sunday, June 2, 2013

take the run fairly easy and run an even pace

Sunday, June 2, 2013--took the day off.

Saturday, June 1, 2013--I took my annual trek across the street to do the Rustin Run, even though I am not really in good shape for a 5K.  Like last year, the fundraiser was scheduled for 4:30 in the afternoon. I warmed up by running a bit through campus en route to the sign-up table.  The 90-degree weather was oppressive.  The race was delayed by nearly 20 miuntes on account of an accident on Rt 926.

Having competed in the 800 meters at Henderson on Friday night, I figured I'd take the run fairly easy and run an even pace of 6:10/mile, a bit off my pace from last year but passable. My first mile was in 6:09.  I hit the mismeasured, longer second mile marker in 12:49.  By this time, my soft 5K fitness level began to really show. I finished in 19:27, about 12 seconds slower than last year's time.  I stuck behind Mr. Andrew White and Brandon Hahn the whole race.  I passed Mr. White at the campus entrance, but I was never able to catch Brandon.  I came in 4th overall and I won my age group. Because I had to head to Berwyn to attend a you're-leaving-the-and-we'll-miss-you gathering in my honor, I wasn't able to stay and enjoy the wonderful spread, music and whatnot.  My son stayed to pick up my cut little medal, though.  (By the way, unlike last year's course, which at my behest was shortened by 70-80 meters, this year's course started at the previous mark near the dumpster outside the stadium.  This means my time was probably the same as last year, given the additional distance of 70-80 meters, making the course 3.15.)  


No comments:

Post a Comment