Saturday, December 29, 2012

So, my man, what will be my priority?

Saturday, 12/29-I went to track on this frigid day with a plan to do pick-up reps: 8x 400m with #s 1,3,4,6,7 in 72 seconds and #s 2,5,8 in 65 seconds.  My rest would be 2:30.  (The workout, as designed for an 2:00 800 meters high school runner is #s 1,3,4,6,7 in 70 seconds and #s 2,5,8 in 63 seconds, with 90 seconds of rest between 400s.)

As I warmed up, I could feel that my hamstring was still rather sore.  I got started w/ the workout and decided to try my best.  Little did I know that my best wouldn't cut it today or that I simply didn't have a best to give.  The first 400 was in 71.  The second one was in 66.  The third and fourth ones were in 72.  The fifth one was in 71; I had fallen way off pace.  I stopped shy of the 300 mark in 50 seconds on the sixth one.  I understaood that the workout as I knew it was no more.  I modified my expectations and offered up an alternative: 300s for the last two repeats.  I'd do #7 at 70-second pace and #8 at 63-second pace.  The 7th run came in at 53 seconds; the 8th run came in at 48 seconds.  Each of these runs was still about a second off the pace of 70 and 63. 

I'll be looking for redemption this coming week. 
Friday, 12/28-I thought about doing an interval workout today, but then decided against...and for a good reason: I don't want to get injured.  I wound up doing 5.7M  (the Rustin/Goose Creek route) at an easy pace, covering the distance in 44:00, or 7:43 per mile.  I can tell by how I felt that running 5.7 miles is no longer a walk in the park, as it had been just a month ago.  Just two months ago twice that distance was the gold standard. So, it's official then: my body is no longer in shape for longer distances.  It's important for me to keep in mind, however, that in order for me to be an effective 800 meter runner I must still be able to handle a 5-6-mile run with a certain measure of confidence.  At the same time, though, I have to develop my speed if I am to be a contender in the 200 and 400.  So, my man, what will be my priority this winter? This coming spring?  Summer?  Do I want to go for the 800 or begin a campaign in the sprint events?

No comments:

Post a Comment