Thursday, September 16, 2010

Let's go back...and spring forward

Thursday, 9/16--I did it! I decided I would join my Thursday crew in town, not by driving to our meeting place to do our customary 8 miles, but by running there. I ran to our meeting place from home, did half of the 8 mile route, then ran back home. My grand total: about 12.55 miles (a record for me; my farthest had been 10 or 11) in 91:30. It felt good and to think I was crazy enough to do this 5 AM. I will try these for the next few weeks. I want to avoid injury, though.

UPDATE: 9/27--As it turns out, the 12.55 miles was actually 12.2 miles! The pace 7:30/mile. Oh well. It was too good to be true.

Wednesday, 9/15--alas, a day off. Mom's birthday.

Tuesday, 9/14--met up with the massive crew at Henderson for 3 x 1 mile with a 200 jog in-between. My runs were 5:56, 5:38, and 5:31. I eased into the workout, but need to make the first run a bit faster. Ideally, a next time I'll go 5:45, 5:35, 5:25. The good thing is that I felt refreshed afterwards, which is how you should feel after such a workout. Crazy to think that Scott Burns ran his last one in 5:21 and Joe Breslin ran his in 5:26. Joe is 50! Wow! I guess that makes me a slacker.


My 5K last week was a sign that I am rounding into shape, but it's also a sign that I need work...mentally.

My plan was to run 3:30/1K. My fitness level indicated that this was in reach. I wanted to run in the neighborhood of 17:30, but I ran 17:45, mostly because of mental errors. I ran the first mile in sub-5:30, but then my back started bothering me, and then the demons smelled blood. Together there was disaster on the horizon. I hit the halfway mark at about 8:30 or so. I talked myself out of stopping at the 2-mile mark. I felt myself losing ground and, along with it, confidence. A few runners breezed by me. I then said to myself that I wanted to finish, that I needed to finish. I then hung on to the guy who had been hitched to me most of the race. He dropped me with about a half mile to go. Then a woman and I went stride for stride for about a quarter mile, until I decided I wanted the win over her. With less than 200 meters to go, I outkicked her.

No comments:

Post a Comment