Sunday, March 21, 2010

The awful taste of defeat is enough

The awful taste of defeat is enough to make one vomit. It's over, my season that is...my campaign to hit 2:00. Despite an early season 2:02, with the exception of a few days here and there, the vast majority of the last 10 weeks have been characterized by poor performances, injuries, and shotty workouts. Actually, this last year I've been prone to injury: first there was the hamstring, then the plantar fasciitis, then the near-ruptured achilles, then the broken finger, then the nerve issue in the hip, and finally the strained calf. Perhaps there should be a warning sign for those of us nearing "that" age: BEWARE: if you intend to stay fit and competitive it's gonna mean an injury every time you turn around.

I have gained 7 pounds this week alone! My metabolism even smells the blood in the water! It looks like I will be starting all over again because this injury may take more time than I had imagined. The awful taste of defeat is enough to make one vomit.

3 comments:

  1. My ex coach used to preach"at our age not only are we more suseptable to injury,but it also takes us longer to recover so we just have to run smart"
    At our age injuries come w/ the territory I'm sorry to say,most of us have been there,most of us recovery,you will too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reality check, which I needed. I am not immune from the pain (and joy) of aging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember last summer when my achilles injury got the better of me,everyone was off racing and or getting ready for Worlds or Nationals and I couldn't run for 6 weeks,it felt like the end of the world,but w/ slow patient build up after PT I got back to where I was,perhaps better,a World Record in the 4x800m and club records at 3,000m and 2 Miles,trust me you'll be back

    ReplyDelete