Thursday, January 14, 2010

Back to the race

I never did go into detail about last Sunday's 400 meter run. Seeding myself at 55.5, I was in lane 1 and in the heat after my 4 comrads', two of whom ran in the 55-range and two of whom ran in the 57-range. I started down and shot out fairly hard. I caught the guy in lane 2 within the first 50 or so, the guys in lanes 3, 5 and 6 within the first 100 or so. At the break (cones) I was in second behind the high schooler (I believe) in lane 4. At the 200, he held a 6-8 meter lead on me; I came across in about 26 seconds. He maintained that exact lead on me for the remainder of the race, as I finished up in 54.9 (55.14 FAT). I did some self-talking during the second lap, specifically at the 250m mark when I told myself to breathe and relax. I finished the race with no headache or headrush, and I was able to "jog the race off." I was pleased overall, considering my lack of speedwork.

I was delighted when later in the meet my daughter ran the 200. She hit 38 seconds in her first ever 200, indoor or outdoor. She ran in her everyday New Balance flats and blew away her heat, winning by a margin of 6 seconds. You go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment