Saturday, March 24, 2018

Trifecta

Sat, 3/24/18-

Went for a recovery run on the trail. 4.25M. 17:00 down, 15:55 back for 32:55.

Fri, 3/23/18-

Bruce, Daryl and John picked me up at about 3:30 to head to The Armory for the Front Runners Invitational, the last of the season, Daryl at the wheel. Early in the drive, we stopped by Starbucks for coffee. Bruce needed a fix, as did I. We enjoyed each other's company on the way to NYC, jabbing each other on matters of politics, family, manhood, etc. There was a fair bit of, well, locker room banter.

We sat in the street-parked car for 15 minutes until we were sure the venue was open to us (6:00). I sat thinking about what I had committed to in signing up for this meet. In an email, I declared the meet as an opportunity to break the barriers: 8.00 in the 60, 25.00 in the 200, and 55.00 in the 400. These were my goals!

 I started warming up at about 6:15, in preparation for the 60. Ross was there for the same.

I wound up being assigned heat 4, lane 8. Ross was in line lane 1. Even though I had practiced a couple of starts, I did not feel explosive when the gun when off. I felt a little off kilter and sloppy. I still managed 7.97. Check! Age-group silver.

I walked and jogged around, trying to stay loose for the 400. Of course, my piriformis muscle was after me, but I had to trek onward.

When it was time to check in for the 400, I had broken a decent sweat again and was ready. We'd have a full heat, with Mark Williams in lane 1, John Curtis in lane 4, me in lane 5, and the remaining lanes taken by youngsters. I was pleased to see there'd be someone on my outside. I understood that I needed to get out a bit harder than I did last week at Nationals. I figured John would pull even with me by the 100 meter mark, but that I'd then go with him. And that's exactly what happened. Once we reached the cones (150m), I moved quickly towards lane 1, so that no one could claim my rightful position. I was within a few meters of John. I looked at the clock and surmised I hit the 200 in a respectable 25-high. I was how I was going to get around him as we hit the backstretch. I noticed he was swinging into the outer rim of lane 1, and I thought I could exploit this. However, I didn't have enough strength and acceleration to make that happen. Coming up the homestretch I told myself to relax and not press too much. I determined there was no use in going wide to try to pass John, as I would run out of "real estate." However, I got passed at the line, making me think that going wide may have prevented this. That being said, going wide may have also affected my time, 54.73, negatively. Check. Age group gold! First 200: 25.411 Second 200: 29.313


I walked around after the 400 and did some jogging, again trying to stay loose for the 200. Once all was said and done, I'd be in heat 8, lane 5. Unfortunately for me, many competitors bagged the 200. My heat was hit especially hard: there were just two of us remaining, someone in lane 2 and me in lane 5 (again). In order to accomplish the trifecta, I needed to get out hard and run the backstretch aggressively, particularly since there was no one to my outside or immediate inside. And that's what I did, although my homestretch helped. I believe my 24.96 could have been a bit faster with more competitors in the race. Check. Are group gold.

I am thinking that I may reassess my plans for outdoor track and focus on sprints: 100, 200, and 400. Perhaps I'll break more barriers: 12.00, 24.00, and 54.00. We'll see.

Thurs, 3/22/18-took off

No comments:

Post a Comment