Sunday, March 4, 2018

From the heart of a true track geek!

March 4, 2018

Met up with my track fellows at Germantown Academy this morning: Anthony Pugliese, Bruce Rash, John Curtis, Chuck Kruelle, and another, younger guy from Bucks Co. Chuck invited. His name escapes me, but he has wheels. He made me feel, well, pedestrian!

On this 40-degree day, we took on some 150s. Per my post yesterday, we'd do three (3) sets of 150s with three minutes' rest between each effort, each set one second faster than the former. 

Because my legs were a bit tight and I didn't stretch especially well, I abandoned the idea that I'd be light and fast today. I figured I'd be looking at 22s, 21s, and 20s. I ultimately decided to play things by ear.

Set 1: 21-mid, 22-low, 21-high ("Ok," I thought after the first 150, "maybe a 19 is within reach today.")
Set 2: 20-low, 20-mid, 20-high
Set 3: 20-flat, 19-mid, 19-high

I sent the following email to my teammates just a little while ago.


Great work this morning, men!

Here's a technical sheet for all you track heads, in case you care. This is in follow up to the "where-is-the-150-mark" conversation this morning.

Instead of relying on goal posts and approximations, try this:

-If you're doing a 150m that ends on the far side of the track (opposite the finish line), use the first 400m hurdle event mark, if there is one. Because the 400m hurdle mark in lane 1 is only 45 meters from the start line, use the 400m hurdle mark in lane 2 as your start. Using the mark in lane 1 would lead you to run 155 meters. The mark in lane 2 gives you the 150m you deserve.

-If you're doing a 150m that ends at the actual finish line, there may be two hurdle marks, one for 300m hurdles and one 400m hurdles.  Use what is the fourth 300m hurdle marking in lane 1. This'll give you the 150m you crave. Appearing five meters beyond the fourth 300m hurdle mark is the seventh 400m hurdle mark. Using this line would lead you to run only about 145m...and you don't want that!

From the heart of a true track geek!

No comments:

Post a Comment