Sunday, October 2, 2016

I am disappointed. I really thought I had a shot.

Sunday-Michele's Mile
Arrived at about 8:40 in plenty of time to warm up with Bria.  We did not attend the 8:30 chapel service.  We checked in, pinned our shirts and then warmed up. 
Was 61 degrees or so when we arrived.  Wet outside from several days of rain.  A little humid.
Headed to the track area at 9:20.  Everything was running behind; the kids' races hadn't even started.
Lined up for the 5K at about 9:50.  
Got out well, but was never in the lead. 
Jeff Coote and I ran stride-for-stride over most of the first mile.  Two other guys, Parick Desabato and Michael Deasey family, were out front.  
Reached the 1000m in 3:28 (on pace)
Coming down the hill towards the first mile, Jeff pulled ahead, energized by his cheering classmates.  He really gapped me.  I found myself in fourth place.
Reached 2000m in 7:00.  (on pace)
I stayed within 30 meters of JC for the next mile. 
Hit the 3000m mark in 10:40. (a 3:40 1K, 10 seconds off pace) 
Reached the 2-mile mark in 11:37 (12 seconds off.), 20 seconds slower than two years ago but 8 seconds faster than last year.
JC extended his lead to 50 meters at the 2-mile mark.  I took it back down to 30.  
Hit the 4000m mark in 14:45 (a 4:05 1K, 35 seconds off)
It was over the final 1000m that he extended his lead to 120 meters. 
JC began to battle with Michael Deasey.  That guy wound up stopping not once but twice on the freshman football field to vomit.  Jeff passed him and I did as well.
Once I neared the track, I knew a sub-18:00 would not be possible.  
Couldn't cut the distance over the final 325 meters.
Ran 18:24.  ARGH.  3rd place.  First place ran 16:32  JC ran 17:59.  The gentleman who feel ill still managed a sub-19:00.

I am disappointed.  I really thought I had a shot at breaking 18:00.

I am happy for Bria, who took it fairly easy but ran 24:11 to win her age group.  

I was also happy to see that we had close to 50 more people running this year, including my teammate Duncan Smith, who happened to be in the neighborhood from sunny California this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment